+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Big 4 jobs in Toronto

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My big4 experience is technology consulting, I started my career with Big4 outsourcing in Asia, more than 2 decades back.

Yes right now economics has hit the big4 particularly the management/technology consulting businesses within big4. What I have seen traditionally the accounts/Tax audits businesses always need new employees all year round. I have read many articles that AI is taking over a lot of the Audit roles but I'm yet to see that in action. Now on the question on finding jobs, It depends on the job level one is looking for, there will always be Analyst level (under 3 years) and consultant level (under 8 years) openings. Yes number of jobs are lower than usual due to poor economics as Canuck says but there is still a few jobs at-least to replace the churn out. However if one if searching for a Manager/SM/Director level yes the number of openings will be almost none today, often need superb/niche experience/skills and takes many months to even years to get in.

Keep in mind Big4 often try recruit one at a level or 2 below the person's market job level, one of my peers a Sr.Director in a smaller firm was taken as SM in EY last month. He had to woo multiple partners in multiple firms over many coffees, conferences etc... He was doing that for almost a year.

As the Big4 pay is not competitive, work culture needs employee to grind long hours etc... the laidback / easy come /easy go Canadians often don't join or tend to leave after internships. Hence Big4 usually have a large immigrant employee base atleast in the non-government business. Federal work needs citizens, even most province government work need a PR at least often.

My advice for a job seeker is to keep networking with folks 1 or 2 levels above the designation you want to join at. Add them in LinkedIn, ask them out for coffees etc... that is the key to get in and to grow after getting in. Of course the employee you network with has to be a SM or above. often they are only hiring managers.
Still think it is a huge risk at the moment to leave a well paying job abroad without a secured job in Canada. It may not even make sense if you have secured a job. People really need to be considering why they want to move to Canada and their current employment. We are in for some tough economic times ahead.

Lord_Tony

Mar 7, 2023
Toronto
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
25-03-2023
AOR Received.
07-05-2023
Med's Done....
15-05-2023
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2023
Still think it is a huge risk at the moment to leave a well paying job abroad without a secured job in Canada. It may not even make sense if you have secured a job. People really need to be considering why they want to move to Canada and their current employment. We are in for some tough economic times ahead.
I agree with you on this point of moving from solid job from home, me and I my wife have asked each other this question last 2 years multiple times.

Last edited:

Lchinjohn

Star Member
Nov 8, 2019
Hi. Just wondering what's the annual pay for a senior accountant in Toronto? Was an audit assistant manager in KPMG Australia, and then 2 years as senior accountant in a university in Australia. Thanks in advance for your time and response.

Lord_Tony

Mar 7, 2023
Toronto
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
25-03-2023
AOR Received.
07-05-2023
Med's Done....
15-05-2023
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2023
Hi. Just wondering what's the annual pay for a senior accountant in Toronto? Was an audit assistant manager in KPMG Australia, and then 2 years as senior accountant in a university in Australia. Thanks in advance for your time and response.
Pay scales are similar here also, of course with the current downturn they would reduce the general pay by 10% or so.

Lchinjohn

Star Member
Nov 8, 2019
Thanks for the response. I'm just hoping to be as prepared as possible before I plan any move, considering the downturn. I'm a CA from ICAEW, any idea if it's recognised by employers in Canada, or do I need to obtain a CPA? I've also heard of immigrants having to start from entry level, so I'm assuming I should expect to start off as an accounts clerk, junior accountant or something at that level? Any idea if it'll be easier to break in through the big 4 first, possibly audit? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Lord_Tony

Mar 7, 2023
Toronto
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
25-03-2023
AOR Received.
07-05-2023
Med's Done....
15-05-2023
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2023
Thanks for the response. I'm just hoping to be as prepared as possible before I plan any move, considering the downturn. I'm a CA from ICAEW, any idea if it's recognised by employers in Canada, or do I need to obtain a CPA? I've also heard of immigrants having to start from entry level, so I'm assuming I should expect to start off as an accounts clerk, junior accountant or something at that level? Any idea if it'll be easier to break in through the big 4 first, possibly audit? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Sorry I'm personally not an accountant, I work in IT consulting and management. I asked a young lady in my team who comes from the UK, She says she did some reciprocal arrangement to get Canadian CPA. She says yes accounting and audit firms will push you to entry level audit roles otherwise. But at AM I assume you have 6-10 years of experience which I doubt, it will be right to join again as junior analyst. Can't you try getting into managerial roles until you brush up accounting quals side by side.

Lchinjohn

Star Member
Nov 8, 2019
Thanks for the info. Will look into the reciprocal arrangement. Not feeling particularly confident moving to another country at this time. But thanks for the advice.

Lchinjohn

Star Member
Nov 8, 2019
Btw, does anyone know what prospects there are for music teachers? My parents are music teachers (piano), they just received their COPRs and we're planning to move together. Would appreciate some thoughts. Thanks

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Btw, does anyone know what prospects there are for music teachers? My parents are music teachers (piano), they just received their COPRs and we're planning to move together. Would appreciate some thoughts. Thanks
They can teach music lessons out of their home. Most piano teachers are self employed and teach lessons through a music studio or home. If they want to teach through the Conservatory of Music then they need to be certified to teach this standardized program.

Lchinjohn

Star Member
Nov 8, 2019
Thanks for the prompt response. We're looking at Toronto, but wondering if they would do better with acquiring students if positioned within downtown or the GTA(Mississauga, Oakville etc). We're planning to rent an apartment but deliberating between the areas mentioned to try to find someplace that has opportunities for myself as an accountant and my parents as music teachers. Thanks again for the info shared.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Piano teachers tend to spread by word of mouth and within communities both ethnic, religious and also location specific so if they join local groups and spread information at local schools and community centres/libraries that would likely start building their client base. If they are a member of a group like the royal conservatory of music they likely list their approved music teachers. Quite surprised that your parents as music teachers were also able to get PR.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for the prompt response. We're looking at Toronto, but wondering if they would do better with acquiring students if positioned within downtown or the GTA(Mississauga, Oakville etc). We're planning to rent an apartment but deliberating between the areas mentioned to try to find someplace that has opportunities for myself as an accountant and my parents as music teachers. Thanks again for the info shared.
I would assume that if they plan on teaching music out of the apartment then that may be very problematic. I could only imagine that many would complain and many leases specify that you can not run a business out of your apartment. The majority of Canadians live in houses so what is tolerated in Canadian condos and apartments (except the most affordable where sadly anything is tolerated out of necessity) versus HK is very different. In terms of music lessons you should be located within an affluent area of the GTA. Especially given the economy many will not have the budget for music lessons so you would have to be close to a neighbourhood where income levels may support extracurricular activities like music lessons.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I would assume that if they plan on teaching music out of the apartment then that may be very problematic. I could only imagine that many would complain and many leases specify that you can not run a business out of your apartment. The majority of Canadians live in houses so what is tolerated in Canadian condos and apartments (except the most affordable where sadly anything is tolerated out of necessity) versus HK is very different. In terms of music lessons you should be located within an affluent area of the GTA. Especially given the economy many will not have the budget for music lessons so you would have to be close to a neighbourhood where income levels may support extracurricular activities like music lessons.
Can you give examples of an affluent area of the GTA? Is a majority people in GTA lives in condo and apartments? In the past, I've seen music teachers and their affiliate academies host Chritsmas concerts in shopping malls.

Lchinjohn

Star Member
Nov 8, 2019
Piano teachers tend to spread by word of mouth and within communities both ethnic, religious and also location specific so if they join local groups and spread information at local schools and community centres/libraries that would likely start building their client base. If they are a member of a group like the royal conservatory of music they likely list their approved music teachers. Quite surprised that your parents as music teachers were also able to get PR.

Lchinjohn

Star Member
Nov 8, 2019
Thanks for taking the time to reply. Will certainly let my parents know. I applied through Express Entry, and my parents through Self-employed Program, my mum being the main applicant, and my dad her dependant. After their long journey of waiting for COPR, they're now not sure that they want to move, considering the current economic climate and the housing crisis there. They've come a long way from the time of application, which was beginning of 2020, right before Covid hit.

Reactions: canuck78