+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Best way to move belongings from California to Vancouver? Mover recommendations?

trecht

Jun 24, 2019
I'm planning to move from Oakland, California, to Vancouver within the next month or two and am trying to figure out the best way to move my belongings. I'm not planning to take much or any furniture, but have several hundred books as well as clothes, a desktop computer, and musical instruments. Unforunately a road trip with U-Haul is out of the question (I'll be flying). Any recommendations for moving services and the like? Ideally, they'd deliver my stuff to storage in Vancouver since I'll be in short-term housing at first. I've looked at U-Haul's U-Box service, which is basically exactly what I need, but they're quoting me $3,348.95 + Delivery for one container, which is pretty steep.

Thanks in advance for any tips!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
How much would the airline cost for additional check-in baggage?

siddharthbala

Jan 12, 2016
Mississauga
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
08-07-2016
Doc's Request.
28-12-2016
AOR Received.
10-12-2016
Med's Request
06-12-2016
Med's Done....
14-12-2016
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
12-04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
28-04-2017
LANDED..........
14-09-2017
I’d check with DHL aor Fedex about ground services, so you can ship your stuff to the new address as freight (and being ground freight makes it a lot cheaper, better than forking over for air freight) and since you’re flying to Vancouver, you’ll be there to receive it on the other side.

gabbar0101

Jun 26, 2020
I’d check with DHL aor Fedex about ground services, so you can ship your stuff to the new address as freight (and being ground freight makes it a lot cheaper, better than forking over for air freight) and since you’re flying to Vancouver, you’ll be there to receive it on the other side.
Have you tried it personally ? I just checked DHL website and kept getting error when I tried "Road Freight" - it says we do not provide Road Freight to Private customers

canuckinla

Jun 25, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
10-07-2019
AOR Received.
05-09-2019
Med's Request
02-10-2019
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
02-12-2019
LANDED..........
17-12-2019
I'm planning to move from Oakland, California, to Vancouver within the next month or two and am trying to figure out the best way to move my belongings. I'm not planning to take much or any furniture, but have several hundred books as well as clothes, a desktop computer, and musical instruments. Unforunately a road trip with U-Haul is out of the question (I'll be flying). Any recommendations for moving services and the like? Ideally, they'd deliver my stuff to storage in Vancouver since I'll be in short-term housing at first. I've looked at U-Haul's U-Box service, which is basically exactly what I need, but they're quoting me $3,348.95 + Delivery for one container, which is pretty steep.

Thanks in advance for any tips!
We moved from Los Angeles to Victoria last month and used U-Pack for moving. They quoted approx. $2750 including higher insurance coverage for 2 pods from our home in LA to their terminal in Surrey. The pods arrived in BC ahead of schedule and we were able to clear it through customs when we drove across the border at Blaine, WA.

siddharthbala

Jan 12, 2016
Mississauga
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
08-07-2016
Doc's Request.
28-12-2016
AOR Received.
10-12-2016
Med's Request
06-12-2016
Med's Done....
14-12-2016
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
12-04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
28-04-2017
LANDED..........
14-09-2017
Have you tried it personally ? I just checked DHL website and kept getting error when I tried "Road Freight" - it says we do not provide Road Freight to Private customers
Haven't done it personally (except for FedEx Ground, which does allow you to do it and will pick it up from your place as well - needed to use this service multiple times at my old job for hauling convention displays and materials to and from the location from storage) - For DHL, you might actually need to co-ordinate or book it from an actual DHL courier's field office - they usually run services like this specifically targeting international students (something like "Don't abandon your stuff in the dorm, have it shipped home instead!") and it can be used for moves, too. I'd call them up and ask them specifically for their ground shipping options as this tends to be a custom quote.

gabbar0101

Jun 26, 2020
Haven't done it personally (except for FedEx Ground, which does allow you to do it and will pick it up from your place as well - needed to use this service multiple times at my old job for hauling convention displays and materials to and from the location from storage) - For DHL, you might actually need to co-ordinate or book it from an actual DHL courier's field office - they usually run services like this specifically targeting international students (something like "Don't abandon your stuff in the dorm, have it shipped home instead!") and it can be used for moves, too. I'd call them up and ask them specifically for their ground shipping options as this tends to be a custom quote.
Got it - I have done it from India to US Fedex without any issues and custom clearance. But Canada seems to be different ballgame.

gabbar0101

Jun 26, 2020
We moved from Los Angeles to Victoria last month and used U-Pack for moving. They quoted approx. $2750 including higher insurance coverage for 2 pods from our home in LA to their terminal in Surrey. The pods arrived in BC ahead of schedule and we were able to clear it through customs when we drove across the border at Blaine, WA.
@canuckinla - how does the coordination on the clearance works? - you get call from customs or third-party carrying the stuff? Also, what if someone lives far away from border lets say 6-7 hours drive - he will have to drive all the way to the border to get clearance or there are better ways through documentation etc.?

canuckinla

Jun 25, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
10-07-2019
AOR Received.
05-09-2019
Med's Request
02-10-2019
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
02-12-2019
LANDED..........
17-12-2019
@canuckinla - how does the coordination on the clearance works? - you get call from customs or third-party carrying the stuff? Also, what if someone lives far away from border lets say 6-7 hours drive - he will have to drive all the way to the border to get clearance or there are better ways through documentation etc.?
We had U-Pack email us the necessary custom clearance forms and presented the forms to customs when we crossed The border. You can also have a relative clear the goods on your behalf. They would need the clearance forms and a letter from you authorizing them to clear the goods. Remember you will need to quarantine for 14 days once you cross into Canada.