+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Best supporting documents: Italian now moving back to Canada

fafilippina

Mar 27, 2017
My mom lived in Canada for almost 14 years between 1970 and 1984. She has been married to my father (since 1972 till 2016) who was a Candian citizenship. She never applied for PR at that time Landed immigrant. it was enough for her to stay in Canada.
They moved to Italy in 1984. Last year my father died so now she wants to apply for her PR to reside here.

What are the supporting documents that you recommend to send with the application?
I have:
Her Italian passport
Their Marriage licence

His Italian Passport
His Certificate of Canadian Citizenship

ANything else that I should Add?

Thank you!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
fafilippina said:
My mom lived in Canada for almost 14 years between 1970 and 1984. She has been married to my father (since 1972 till 2016) who was a Candian citizenship. She never applied for PR at that time Landed immigrant. it was enough for her to stay in Canada.
They moved to Italy in 1984. Last year my father died so now she wants to apply for her PR to reside here.

What are the supporting documents that you recommend to send with the application?
I have:
Her Italian passport
Their Marriage licence

His Italian Passport
His Certificate of Canadian Citizenship

ANything else that I should Add?

Thank you!
If she never got her PR/landed immigrant status back then, there is unfortunately nothing that can be done about it now. She does not qualify to apply for PR if she has no living Canadian spouse to sponsor her. Her previous time spent in Canada and the fact she was married to a Canadian, is no longer relevant today.

If you are a Canadian/PR, live in Canada to meet the income qualifications, you can then apply to the lottery to sponsor your mom next year.

fafilippina

Mar 27, 2017
Thank you for the reply! Bad on me, She never applied for PR hoever she had Landed immigrant status and it was enough for her to stay in Canada.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
fafilippina said:
Thank you for the reply! Bad on me, She never applied for PR hoever she had Landed immigrant status and it was enough for her to stay in Canada.

What "application" exactly are you looking at?

Landed immigrant = PR. It's just an older term for PR.

So if she did indeed have landed immigrant status, and never voluntarily renounced it, she should still be a PR today. And as long as she was living with her Canadian citizen spouse, she would always have been in compliance with the residency obligation.

What she needs to do now, is apply for a PR Travel Document: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/travel-document/
The list of documents she needs is in the app package. In addition she will need to send some kind of proof she was living with Canadian citizen spouse all this time. I don't think the fact her husband has recently passed away, should affect this.

Once the PR TD is approved, she will be able to use it to return to Canada. Only once back in Canada she would then be able to submit an application to renew her PR card.

I'm not too familiar with the old "landed immigrant" rules, but all this is assuming they didn't automatically revoke her PR status at some point in the past. If her PR status was somehow gone, then there would be nothing she can do now and would be out of luck.