+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Best option in our situation?

cinephile79

Jan 16, 2020
I am a 41-year-old Canadian citizen from Québec, never married, and my girlfriend is 31 from the Philippines.

I have met her online almost two years ago, in February 2018, and we have met in her country 10 months later, in December 2018. We then decided to be in an exclusive relationship before I went back to Canada. That was a year ago on Dec 30.

We have been living together in Vietnam since May 10, 2019, so for a little more than 8 months.

We are now collecting information on how to have her immigrate to Québec, Canada, and would like to know your opinion on the best option, in regard to her education profile as well as our relationship situation.

Here are the details:

1. She is 31, never been married, no children, and holds a Bachelor in Elementary Education with a Major in Special Education and a Masters in Early Childhood Education. She has 3 years of teaching experience in the Philippines. She has great command of the English language, having worked in a foreign call center before, and is starting to learn French.

2. We have known each other for almost 2 years, have been in an exclusive relationship for a year and living together for 8 months. We are not married and it is not possible for foreigners to do so in Vietnam. Getting married in the Philippines is a long process that requires us to be staying there for more than 3 months, and in order to marry in a neighboring country, we need some papers that are hard to get when not physically in the Philippines. Therefore, we would rather wait to be in Canada to marry.

3. I was planning on sponsoring her from Vietnam and then head back to Canada while the application is being processed, as my 72-year-old father, who is living alone, needs assistance. I'm guessing it would be a problem when applying as common-law if I left in March, after 10 months living together and 15 months in an official exclusive relationship? It is mandatory that I stay here until we reach the 12-month of living together mark in May, right?

4. We looked at the Express Entry option and also considered going to Canada on a visitor visa and then have her look for a job while she is there, applying for a work permit and all. Not sure if it would be a better option?

5. Would it be any easier if we chose another province than Quebec? With the extra wait time for the Selection Certificate now around 5 months, I wonder if it's faster elsewhere?

I thank you in advance for your precious help.

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I am a 41-year-old Canadian citizen from Québec, never married, and my girlfriend is 31 from the Philippines.

I have met her online almost two years ago, in February 2018, and we have met in her country 10 months later, in December 2018. We then decided to be in an exclusive relationship before I went back to Canada. That was a year ago on Dec 30.

We have been living together in Vietnam since May 10, 2019, so for a little more than 8 months.

We are now collecting information on how to have her immigrate to Québec, Canada, and would like to know your opinion on the best option, in regard to her education profile as well as our relationship situation.

Here are the details:

1. She is 31, never been married, no children, and holds a Bachelor in Elementary Education with a Major in Special Education and a Masters in Early Childhood Education. She has 3 years of teaching experience in the Philippines. She has great command of the English language, having worked in a foreign call center before, and is starting to learn French.

2. We have known each other for almost 2 years, have been in an exclusive relationship for a year and living together for 8 months. We are not married and it is not possible for foreigners to do so in Vietnam. Getting married in the Philippines is a long process that requires us to be staying there for more than 3 months, and in order to marry in a neighboring country, we need some papers that are hard to get when not physically in the Philippines. Therefore, we would rather wait to be in Canada to marry.

3. I was planning on sponsoring her from Vietnam and then head back to Canada while the application is being processed, as my 72-year-old father, who is living alone, needs assistance. I'm guessing it would be a problem when applying as common-law if I left in March, after 10 months living together and 15 months in an official exclusive relationship? It is mandatory that I stay here until we reach the 12-month of living together mark in May, right?

4. We looked at the Express Entry option and also considered going to Canada on a visitor visa and then have her look for a job while she is there, applying for a work permit and all. Not sure if it would be a better option?

5. Would it be any easier if we chose another province than Quebec? With the extra wait time for the Selection Certificate now around 5 months, I wonder if it's faster elsewhere?

I thank you in advance for your precious help.
3. Common-law requires one fill year of continuous cohabitation and that you can prove it. Applying with only 10 months will get you a refusal.

4. She can try for a TRV but with a Canadian partner and only temporary residence in her current country, chances are quite low. If approved for a TRV, coming here as a visitor and finding a job to get a work permit is not realistic.

5. Perhaps a bit faster in another province without having to wait for the CSQ but exact same process otherwise.

cinephile79

Jan 16, 2020
3. Common-law requires one fill year of continuous cohabitation and that you can prove it. Applying with only 10 months will get you a refusal. Thanks for confirming.

4. She can try for a TRV but with a Canadian partner and only temporary residence in her current country, chances are quite low. If approved for a TRV, coming here as a visitor and finding a job to get a work permit is not realistic. I understand

5. Perhaps a bit faster in another province without having to wait for the CSQ but exact same process otherwise. So possibly 5 months less elsewhere?
I see. Thank you for the quick response.

So, our options are to either wait for the full 12 months to pass (4 more months) before applying or get married in the Philippines and apply for marriage sponsorship as soon as we have the certificate in hand (1-2 months). I understand.

1. No difference in wait times whether common-law or marriage sponsorship I presume?

2. Does Canada usually ask for the CSQ at the end of the 12-month average processing time?
Or before that and then you need to wait a couple more months after the CSQ has been delivered?

3. Any chance of getting in faster by going the Regular Skilled Worker Program (ARRIMA) route?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I see. Thank you for the quick response.

So, our options are to either wait for the full 12 months to pass (4 more months) before applying or get married in the Philippines and apply for marriage sponsorship as soon as we have the certificate in hand (1-2 months). I understand.

1. No difference in wait times whether common-law or marriage sponsorship I presume?

2. Does Canada usually ask for the CSQ at the end of the 12-month average processing time?
Or before that and then you need to wait a couple more months after the CSQ has been delivered?

3. Any chance of getting in faster by going the Regular Skilled Worker Program (ARRIMA) route?
1. No.

2. It is asked for closer to the beginning.

3. If she qualifies, she can certainly try. I don't know the Quebec-specific processing times.

Reactions: cinephile79

andrew3081

Apr 6, 2018
Be prepared to wait up to 6 months to get the PSA copy of the marriage certificate if you do the marriage route. Canada only accept the marriage certificate from the PSA (Philippine Statistics Authority).

Reactions: cinephile79

cinephile79

Jan 16, 2020
Be prepared to wait up to 6 months to get the PSA copy of the marriage certificate if you do the marriage route. Canada only accept the marriage certificate from the PSA (Philippine Statistics Authority).
You are right. We looked into it yesterday and realized it was way too long, indeed. Thanks for the heads up.

We'll be using the marriage in Hong Kong route instead. You reserve your spot in advance, from abroad and get the certificate right after the ceremony with additional copies available right then and there. Philippines bureaucracy is a mess.