+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Best option for broken tooth

cinvest2021

Star Member
Jan 2, 2021
Hello,

What would be most cost effective option for a broken crown and possibly broken root (serving to support the crown) for a facial /visible tooth.

If I go straight away to the dentist I expect costs around 1500 to 2000 CAD.

Should I take a dental insurance (after the fact) then go to dentist? any possible way to minimize costs?

I have provincial health coverage, and province is Quebec.

Thank you for any help

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,

What would be most cost effective option for a broken crown and possibly broken root (serving to support the crown) for a facial /visible tooth.

If I go straight away to the dentist I expect costs around 1500 to 2000 CAD.

Should I take a dental insurance (after the fact) then go to dentist? any possible way to minimize costs?

I have provincial health coverage, and province is Quebec.

Thank you for any help
You can’t buy dental coverage and get this covered because it’s a preexisting issue. Not sure that you have any option other than leave it or go to the dentist.

Reactions: YVR123

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Most dentists will set up a monthly payment plan. Since this a pre-existing issue, getting dental insurance will not cover it. Also for insurance, you will have to look at different policies because crowns/root work may not be included. If in Montreal, see if McGill Dentistry is running any clinics and if crown work is included for a fee.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Well, it depends on how fast you need to fix your tooth. If it is not urgent, you can wait to get dental insurance and then visit the dentist. I could not stay long with a visibly broken tooth. That would make me feel very stressed. I'd rather pay 1500 or 2000 CAD than have a broken tooth. Well, the best option is the implant. I already have an implant that my dentist from https://jeffreygrossdds.com/services/cosmetic-dentistry/ put in. Yes, it cost a lot, but now I don't have a broken tooth, and I don't even have space between my teeth.
Preexisting issues may not get covered by insurance. Private insurance coverage if not through an employer may not cover much.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for your question. If the crown is broken, but not cracked, fixing it will likely not be an urgent situation. Therefore, if you have dental insurance, it is probably more cost effective to leave it be and use the insurance to pay for dental work in the future. If the crown is cracked, it is important to get treated immediately. Emergency dental service in your area should be able to do this work. If you are able to see a dentist immediately, the cost will likely be higher than this, as you will have to have a temporary crown placed as quickly as possible until a permanent one can be made. If you go to the dentist with a broken crown, expect to pay around $200 or more depending on the length of the appointment.
If you don’t have insurance cost will be well over $200. Private insurance not through an employer also doesn’t cover much and you have a huge deductible to pay usually before you qualify for coverage.