+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Best Method To Move to Canada?

fleurdenuit

Mar 3, 2018
My boyfriend is trying to move here. We've been together long-distance for 9 years going on 10. The past year he lived with me to attend school and graduated. Now he's trying to apply for workers visa. It's been long over the estimated time so realistically how long does getting a workers visa take?

For him to move here, what would be his best option? It's frustrating because we can't actually start our life together because this process is a gong show. They don't tell you anything, and my boss who moved to canada from overseas says when she originally applied for permanent residency she heard nothing for 4 years! I don't want to wait to be in my 30s to officially start my life.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
So maybe clarify he attended school in Canada and graduated so did he apply for a PGWP ?

He lived with you for a year in Canada so are you now under the common law definition so you have now followed the spouse sponsorship route as an inland applicant with a spouse work permit ? The latter usually takes about 4 months to come through and the spouse PR about 12 months.

fleurdenuit

Mar 3, 2018
He applied for PGWP and another one (we haven't done anything to do with common law yet) I wouldn't be able to sponsor either I don't think, my income probably wouldn't be enough in the governments eyes. Sucks because his parents cover him no problem, I however can't show that I can. It's already been like 5 or 6 months, and no word what so ever for either of the work visas. Marriage we've talked about it, but didn't really want to use that to get him in country faster. Not to mention in many forms it says it doesn't help at all. So if it doesn't get him in faster, we didn't want to diminish the symbolism of it and wanted to have it happen naturally at the right time so the spousal idea just hasn't been much thought because it seems those avenues are dead.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
He applied for PGWP and another one (we haven't done anything to do with common law yet) I wouldn't be able to sponsor either I don't think, my income probably wouldn't be enough in the governments eyes. Sucks because his parents cover him no problem, I however can't show that I can. It's already been like 5 or 6 months, and no word what so ever for either of the work visas. Marriage we've talked about it, but didn't really want to use that to get him in country faster. Not to mention in many forms it says it doesn't help at all. So if it doesn't get him in faster, we didn't want to diminish the symbolism of it and wanted to have it happen naturally at the right time so the spousal idea just hasn't been much thought because it seems those avenues are dead.
There isn't an income requirement for common law sponsorship you just have to show you can support yourselves without needing social assistance. If there is any questions about your income being too low your boyfriend should also be employed by then and you can show you are both employed now.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My boyfriend is trying to move here. We've been together long-distance for 9 years going on 10. The past year he lived with me to attend school and graduated. Now he's trying to apply for workers visa. It's been long over the estimated time so realistically how long does getting a workers visa take?

For him to move here, what would be his best option? It's frustrating because we can't actually start our life together because this process is a gong show. They don't tell you anything, and my boss who moved to canada from overseas says when she originally applied for permanent residency she heard nothing for 4 years! I don't want to wait to be in my 30s to officially start my life.
I think you're over-complicating things. Once you have lived together for one full year, you can sponsor him as your common law partner (no need to get married). Processing will likely take around a year. It's a very straight-forward process.

fleurdenuit

Mar 3, 2018
Ohh, that's a huge relief. I thought my income would be a big factor. Thank you, maybe I will look into the common law thing then.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
On a side note if you've lived together for 12 months, hopefully both of you have already updated your marital status to the CRA to common-law for tax purposes. This is mandatory after reaching 12 months of cohabitation.