+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Best City for Commodity / Agricultural Trading/Digital Marketing Jobs

pgpg

Star Member
Feb 8, 2019
Hi
We'd (2+1) be doing a permanent landing in March 2020.

1. My industry is Agricultural Commodities (of which, Canada is a very big exporter). Normally, across the world, such industries are in port cities. I am not clear how this would work in Canada as Toronto is inland and Vancouver isn't quite close enough to the farms. Does anyone have any idea or experience in this and could advise which city is the best to move in to for working in this industry?
2. My spouse is a Digital Marketing expert with a decent track record outside Canada (though I understand that it may not be valued inside the country when we start). We think Toronto should be the hub of this type of work; but would be eager to know if such roles exist in all provincial capitals?

In a perfect world, we'd both do roles in our skill-sets. But the reality is that Trump is a President. I am seeking opinion of the readers on which cities to migrate to. I've put this is the housing thread because I feel that it is important to choose the city first and then scout for jobs. I read somewhere that Canadian employers are shy about giving offers to new immigrants because they don't want to invest time and money and later find that the person has moved to a new place. Hence, it may be wise to choose city first and then seek employment there.

There exists a counter-argument too that a new job seeker should be mobile across the country, but I don't quite agree with that (specially considering the enormous costs of inland movement/relocation). If I was an employer, I'd rather have person settled around me than call him from 4000 km away.

Cost of housing isn't a clinching factor for us (we think we have enough resources to give any city a decent try); though as any person we'd try to optimize. We also have a kid who'd go to school from September.

Your opinion or hearsay would be a useful input for us. Thanks.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You likely are making good money currently. Is there a reason why you want to move to Canada? Are you prepared for a hit to your lifestyle and earning power? In a my opinion people show only move if they leaving lucrative careers if they are young and preferably childless to keep expenses really low, if you are prepared to take a hit to your lifestyle and perhaps have to change careers or if you have a job lined up for a least one person. Even if you are making a good salary in Canada you will not have a nanny, cook, landscaper, driver, someone doing snow removal, etc. You may be able to pay for a cleaner for a few hours weekly or every 2 weeks but you will still have to do all your laundry, daily cleaning/tidying, etc. and some snow removal/leaf raking/lawn cutting, etc.. Both parents need to be prepared to a lot of daily housework and work in and outside their house that they may have never done before. For people making good incomes in their countries with similar or better salaries that they will be able to get in Canada they really need to think whether immigration makes sense. It may have made sense years ago but it no longer makes sense.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No, people can still hire someone else to do their snow removal, landscaping (mowing grass and trim trees), house cleaning, driving and cooking (using services such as skipping the dishes).

Vancouver especially Richmond has lots of farms. YVR airport is right in Richmond.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
No, people can still hire someone else to do their snow removal, landscaping (mowing grass and trim trees), house cleaning, driving and cooking (using services such as skipping the dishes).

Vancouver especially Richmond has lots of farms. YVR airport is right in Richmond.
I said that most people can’t afford to pay for all their domestic duties to be done by others unlike in other countries. The person is ask about commodity trading. Like a stock broker but for commodities. I know Chicago is the US city and I think Toronto is the centre for commodity brokers. There is other agriculture related things mostly in Winnipeg.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I said that most people can’t afford to pay for all their domestic duties to be done by others unlike in other countries. The person is ask about commodity trading. Like a stock broker but for commodities. I know Chicago is the US city and I think Toronto is the centre for commodity brokers. There is other agriculture related things mostly in Winnipeg.
But even gold, silver, livestock, fruits, lumber and petroleum are considered as commodities. There are many fruit produce farms in Richmond, BC.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
But even gold, silver, livestock, fruits, lumber and petroleum are considered as commodities. There are many fruit produce farms in Richmond, BC.
The OP says they work in agricultural commodities. This isn’t actually working with farms but on the commodity markets.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Then why do you keep posting about farms in Richmond? Farms anywhere are not related to the question.
Read OP's post again. OP said he/she is unclear how this would work in Canada as Toronto is inland and Vancouver isn't quite close enough to the farms. Farms are related to the question.

pgpg

Star Member
Feb 8, 2019
You likely are making good money currently. Is there a reason why you want to move to Canada? Are you prepared for a hit to your lifestyle and earning power? In a my opinion people show only move if they leaving lucrative careers if they are young and preferably childless to keep expenses really low, if you are prepared to take a hit to your lifestyle and perhaps have to change careers or if you have a job lined up for a least one person. Even if you are making a good salary in Canada you will not have a nanny, cook, landscaper, driver, someone doing snow removal, etc. You may be able to pay for a cleaner for a few hours weekly or every 2 weeks but you will still have to do all your laundry, daily cleaning/tidying, etc. and some snow removal/leaf raking/lawn cutting, etc.. Both parents need to be prepared to a lot of daily housework and work in and outside their house that they may have never done before. For people making good incomes in their countries with similar or better salaries that they will be able to get in Canada they really need to think whether immigration makes sense. It may have made sense years ago but it no longer makes sense.
you are right about the money. however, we do everything on our own in our native country anyway, so it is not a big deal to do it in Canada. we have debated internally on whether to immigrate for quite a while before/during the process and have been 67-33 in favor. it is quite possible that things might not work out, but there is a reasonable chance that they might; and nobody ever achieved something without a bit of a slog. we don't have attractive careers because we run our own show and can do it from anywhere in the world. canada's specific charms are: transparent systems (so you can retain your money after you've earned it - not so easy in many other parts of the world- taxes are acceptable to us); long term social security; clean air and water (a rare combination where we hail from).

i get your point about Toronto being the place where this industry operates. appreciate that.

and about the wheat v.s. fruit; both are within my scope, though fruits are a very small market internationally compared to wheat (grains). living close to a farm would be of no help because no farm can fill even a tenth of a ship. my kind of work needs hubs of trade, and i guess toronto is one (others?).

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
you are right about the money. however, we do everything on our own in our native country anyway, so it is not a big deal to do it in Canada. we have debated internally on whether to immigrate for quite a while before/during the process and have been 67-33 in favor. it is quite possible that things might not work out, but there is a reasonable chance that they might; and nobody ever achieved something without a bit of a slog. we don't have attractive careers because we run our own show and can do it from anywhere in the world. canada's specific charms are: transparent systems (so you can retain your money after you've earned it - not so easy in many other parts of the world- taxes are acceptable to us); long term social security; clean air and water (a rare combination where we hail from).

i get your point about Toronto being the place where this industry operates. appreciate that.

and about the wheat v.s. fruit; both are within my scope, though fruits are a very small market internationally compared to wheat (grains). living close to a farm would be of no help because no farm can fill even a tenth of a ship. my kind of work needs hubs of trade, and i guess toronto is one (others?).
Really depends on what you are looking for. Think Winnipeg still is the grain centre although the wheat board no longer exists. Prairies involves grains and legumes and then there are ports on each coast. Commodity traders are in Toronto.