AOR Received.
11-05-2012
File Transfer...
18-05-2012
Med's Done....
Jan 2012
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 27-07-2012
As a Canadian moving home, I feel Scotia is appaling. I have had to have an account with them since I got student loans back in 1996 and they have never been helpful or useful and now, even though I regulalry made all my payments, never defaulted on the loans (which I could have being aborad) and I have money going into my account, I get fleeced an extortionate amount monthly for 'maintenance', 'accounting' and monthly service charge.

As a student I also had an account and credit arrangment with TD and they were very useful and friendly and helpful. My parents have always banked with Bank of Montreal and CIBC. Dad currently thinks ING is one of the best.

troyporter

Oct 26, 2007
just thought I'd share:

RBC Welcome to Canada: http://www.rbc.com/canada/banking-packages/index.html

Scotia StartRight: http://www.scotiabank.com/cda/content/0,1608,CID12961_LIDen,00.html

TD: http://www.tdcanadatrust.com/newtocanada/index.jsp ... TD didnt outright have a "New Immigrant Package" that I could identify on their website.

IrfanP

Feb 17, 2011
Most of the new immigrants find Banking is done differently in Canada, specially with respect to Charges. I come across a guide from RBC Bank's website which is good read to understand How Banking is done in Canada. This is pretty useful information for new comers. I am sharing the Link below:

http://www.rbc.com/canada/welcometocanada/pdf/understanding-banking-in-canada.pdf

I suggest ALL new commers to opt for any Bank's {be it CIBC, Scotia, RBC, BMO, etc} free first year New Immigrant package {which generally includes basic chequing account + ABM\Debit Card, $ 500-1,000 limit credit card & free\subsidize-Safety Deposit Box} to avoid charge for first year and once they understand Canadian bank they can move there account which-ever bank & product they like.

boltz

Jul 30, 2009
boltz said:
Both are good. Select the one that provides you with a non-secure credit card. Or the one that rules out the need for maintaining min balance. With RBC, you can get the min balance as well as the monthly charge waiver for upto 1 year.

If you have to go with secure credit card, then with security amount, credit card together, you can get a waiver on monthly checking account charges with RBC. I am not sure about scotiabank.

Also, scotia bank gives only VISA cards (I suppose) - while RBC has selection of visa & master credit cards. B/w Scotia & RBC, I guess RBC is a wider network.

I however suggest NOT to go with TD - they just FLEECE customers; and do nothing more...

I was once told by TD official - "I am not charging you for the request letter that certifies that I possess an account with them". She was taking pride in saying that they have provided customer service. I felt that they would have otherwise charged for such a basic request too? Well, yeah, I said to myself - "Welcome to Canada!" Every thing here is paid service. However, with TD, they have potential to ask you to pay fees to enter the branch; and then say that we have waived it for you! wah! thats great service...
I would like to change the opinion i had posted. Afterall TD is not as bad as I thought - I mean the stand TD takes in terms of services is the same stand that all other banks are taking - measuring each and every service they provide, even though they are basic. Keeping that feel (which is radically different from what is the banking experience back home) apart, there are things better with TD than with RBC. For eg., RBC new comer program is quite impressive for 1 year; but is so very difficult from then on - with RBC, there will not be a one way to gain both - a premium service and a no-monthly-fee. So, you have to pay monthly fee for a premium service.

With TD, there is a way to upgrade your account to premium service, if you are willing to maintain a certain minimum balance - and be able to enjoy the no-fee banking. Also, with these premium account, a waiver on a premium/rewards credit card annual fee is the bonus.

With that I remember one more thing with regards to credit card - with TD, obtaining the FIRST credit card is so very damn hard - if at all you get an unsecured one, it would start with 500$. With RBC it was easy to get the first credit card; and with a 1000$ limit. However, with the relationship for 6-12 months, TD recognizes the relationship better than RBC (my personal view). CLIs is easier with TD than with RBC.

Recently, TD also has introduced Master cards in addition to Visas. Well MNBA (TD's extended arm) had the master cards earlier, but TD itself did not have - but now they offer them too.

So, overall - for 1st year, one can take advantage of the newcomer programs; but post this period, it is better to look out for better banking products and switch. In fact, if it is possible, open no-fee checking accounts with atleast 2 banks upon landing, so that over the 1st year, you can make an easier choice of consolidation/movement/etc. Also this 1 year would have helped in building relationship with the bank too.

I also hear Scotiabank is one of the good ones - both for 1st year and forward. They were offering only VISA credit cards in the past; but recently they have started off with offering american express credit cards too.

All in all - there is no one best bank to bank with - and if at all there is one, its only at this point in time; and is to change with time. Its Canada, you see!

techtalk

Jun 30, 2014
You should try ING Direct, Now known as Tangerine. They have zero balance account with unlimited any ATM withrawal/Merchant purchase. They pay better interest compared to other banks. Account opening is very simple. They have signup bonus as well. reach out to me if you need more info on signup bonus.

prasprime

Dec 16, 2013
India
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What about credit card? Loans and Line of Credits. Those are good in RBC.

techtalk said:
You should try ING Direct, Now known as Tangerine. They have zero balance account with unlimited any ATM withrawal/Merchant purchase. They pay better interest compared to other banks. Account opening is very simple. They have signup bonus as well. reach out to me if you need more info on signup bonus.

NevaGain

Oct 10, 2014
Scotia has been great. The customer service, the benefits of the accounts, credit limits etc. has been great. Had nothing but heartache dealing with CIBC. Went to open an account with CIBC and was asked by the person assisting me if I was sure of my SIN. Apparently all immigrants are asylum seekers. I found it very offensive. She also told me the newcomers benefits could not be combined with other accounts when they full well could be and had been advised by friends that they had been able to. Not to mention the length of time it took to get my cards and the fees associated with the accounts. Scotia however offered me the newcomer benefits and have been very easy to deal with and the benefits of their accounts are practical and have been very useful. TD Bank's customer service was ok but their accounts for the most part were not conducive to new immigrants.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
I would recommend Presidents Choice Financial Bank. You get chequing, savings, RRSP, TFSA accounts all completely free, with unlimited ATM (from CIBC ATMs) and debit transactions, and unlimited free cheques.

Only downside is they have no physical banks, everything is done online or over the phone. So wouldn't be a good choice for people who need in-person teller service.