+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Benefit Overpayment

AlbertaPound

Feb 12, 2017
Recently remembered that we still owe a few months CCB/UCCB overpayment repayments. We left Canada over eight years ago (we were there for study). Always meant to repay but was just too easy to kick that can down the road and clearly forgot about it (I know, very uncanadian). Honestly have no details left as it was so long ago. How would I find out what is still owed?

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Recently remembered that we still owe a few months CCB/UCCB overpayment repayments. We left Canada over eight years ago (we were there for study). Always meant to repay but was just too easy to kick that can down the road and clearly forgot about it (I know, very uncanadian). Honestly have no details left as it was so long ago. How would I find out what is still owed?
Since those payments are administered by Revenue Canada, why not call them ?
Canadian or being “ uncanadian” isn’t relevant. You were overpaid benefits you weren’t entitled too. You call if you’re within Canada, or you write a letter.
People suddenly remember they owe if they are planning on returning

Last edited:

AlbertaPound

Feb 12, 2017
Will they be able to find our details ok if all we have is names and previous city? We chucked all old documentation years ago so can't remember exact address. Not planning on returning anytime soon with a pandemic on the go. Will probably take a nice holiday when the kids are a bit older but have zero plans to live there again. Was just reminded about it on the weekend because I say someone on my FB thread that recently moved to Calgary ranting about the benefit system.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Will they be able to find our details ok if all we have is names and previous city? We chucked all old documentation years ago so can't remember exact address. Not planning on returning anytime soon with a pandemic on the go. Will probably take a nice holiday when the kids are a bit older but have zero plans to live there again. Was just reminded about it on the weekend because I say someone on my FB thread that recently moved to Calgary ranting about the benefit system.
You should have records of your SIN#

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Don't have SIN# unfortunately. Had no reason to keep any of the old documentation. Will they tell me what mine was if I call them and say name and city?
You can certainly try. Thereare actually reasons to keep at least basic documents about your time in Canada. CRA certainly wants their money back so they will try to work with you,