+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Benefit of declaring vehicle as Goods to Follow

lets_try

Aug 10, 2016
Hello Everybody,

I wanted to know what is the benefit of declaring one's used car as a 'Goods to Follow' item during landing. Is there a fee/duty/tax rebate?

As compared to someone NOT declaring it, and going for import sometime later.

Thanks

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
lets_try said:
Hello Everybody,

I wanted to know what is the benefit of declaring one's used car as a 'Goods to Follow' item during landing. Is there a fee/duty/tax rebate?

As compared to someone NOT declaring it, and going for import sometime later.

Thanks
If you declare it, you don't have to pay tax on it when you bring it into the country. If you don't declare it, you will have to pay tax. It's pretty straightforward.

lets_try

Aug 10, 2016
torontosm said:
If you declare it, you don't have to pay tax on it when you bring it into the country. If you don't declare it, you will have to pay tax. It's pretty straightforward.
Thanks for the reply. I didn't know this actually.

Anyhow, during my landing I did mention the car (make model etc) on the Goods to Follow list, but didn't have the title on me. So the officer wrote, 'No proof of ownership was provided'. I didn't know one has to take ownership proofs with oneself.

Do I quality for the tax rebate when I actually import it?

Thanks

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
lets_try said:
Thanks for the reply. I didn't know this actually.

Anyhow, during my landing I did mention the car (make model etc) on the Goods to Follow list, but didn't have the title on me. So the officer wrote, 'No proof of ownership was provided'. I didn't know one has to take ownership proofs with oneself.

Do I quality for the tax rebate when I actually import it?

Thanks
You should be fine, so long as the description you provided matches the car you are importing. Ideally you would have given the VIN number in the description, but even if you didn't, I think the CBSA officers will be quite understanding.

lets_try

Aug 10, 2016
torontosm said:
You should be fine, so long as the description you provided matches the car you are importing. Ideally you would have given the VIN number in the description, but even if you didn't, I think the CBSA officers will be quite understanding.
Thanks.

I hope so. He was insisting on proof of ownership (I guess title/registration) only. Had he asked for a VIN instead, I guess I had that on my insurance slip in my wallet (always carry two, one in the car and one in the wallet). But didn't offer it myself either, because the officer appeared rather stiff, and because it never occurred to me.

Thanks.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
lets_try said:
Thanks.

I hope so. He was insisting on proof of ownership (I guess title/registration) only. Had he asked for a VIN instead, I guess I had that on my insurance slip in my wallet (always carry two, one in the car and one in the wallet). But didn't offer it myself either, because the officer appeared rather stiff, and because it never occurred to me.

Thanks.
the tittle/registration was not needed when i declared my car on my goods to follow form and i had no issue importing it later on. I did list the VIN # on the goods to follow list, as i'm pretty sure that in the directions in the conveyance section. you will need the title for importing.