+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Belgian citizen living in the UK - Working Holiday Visa

Oct 6, 2018
Hi there,

I am a Belgian citizen who currently lives and works in the UK.

Am I able to enter the Belgian pool to apply for a Working Holiday Visa even though I don’t officially live in Belgium?

I have a Belgian address that I can use for my application but my official residence is in London and my passport has been issued through the Belgian embassy in London.

Thanks,

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Maybe some gaps to consider in your plan that being you need to provide a police certificate from the UK and your resume will show you live and work in the UK.

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
what is the problem there. You are Belgium citizen so you should be able to access their pool. Many people live part of their live somewhere else. So far it should not be difficult to send your passport to Paris if requested (if I am not mistaken, embassy in Paris does take care of Belgium).

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
what is the problem there. You are Belgium citizen so you should be able to access their pool. Many people live part of their live somewhere else. So far it should not be difficult to send your passport to Paris if requested (if I am not mistaken, embassy in Paris does take care of Belgium).
To qualify for an IEC visa from certain countries, you are required to be physically residing there at the time you apply. Belgium is one of them.

Reactions: canuck_in_uk

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi there,

I am a Belgian citizen who currently lives and works in the UK.

Am I able to enter the Belgian pool to apply for a Working Holiday Visa even though I don’t officially live in Belgium?

I have a Belgian address that I can use for my application but my official residence is in London and my passport has been issued through the Belgian embassy in London.

Thanks,
One of the requirements to qualify is that you are actually residing in Belgium. You can certainly try applying, but chances are very high you will be refused.

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
One of the requirements to qualify is that you are actually residing in Belgium. You can certainly try applying, but chances are very high you will be refused.
Which means that all he needs to do if ever he is selected is to move to Belgium just before he will apply. Something that is not that difficult as he does have an address to move in.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Which means that all he needs to do if ever he is selected is to move to Belgium just before he will apply. Something that is not that difficult as he does have an address to move in.
A possible solution maybe but given the OP lives and works in the UK seems a bit extreme to appear to give that up to get an IEC permit. The OPs resume will reflect they are living and working in the UK so the last entry will need to reflect moving to Belgium with or without a job plus they will be declaring on the application that their country of residence is Belgium. As for the passport submission that is not an issue for the IEC program for visa exempts given the whole process is managed online through a MYCIC account.

Ultimately I guess is up to the OP how they might want to stretch the rules but is so easy in these situations to drift into a misrepresentation scenario, maybe not with the initial application but later on with any future dealings with immigration so any action take now needs to be consistent throughout in the future.

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
A possible solution maybe but given the OP lives and works in the UK seems a bit extreme to appear to give that up to get an IEC permit. The OPs resume will reflect they are living and working in the UK so the last entry will need to reflect moving to Belgium with or without a job plus they will be declaring on the application that their country of residence is Belgium. As for the passport submission that is not an issue for the IEC program for visa exempts given the whole process is managed online through a MYCIC account.

Ultimately I guess is up to the OP how they might want to stretch the rules but is so easy in these situations to drift into a misrepresentation scenario, maybe not with the initial application but later on with any future dealings with immigration so any action take now needs to be consistent throughout in the future.
Ok so this situation would be similar to a situation when somebody asks for inland spousal sponsorship days after they have entered Canada as a visitor.
Since the only requirement for such sponsorship (inland type) is to be in Canada, bur not specified how long, they can do it just a day or 2 after entering.

Now the requirement for the working holiday is that at the time of sending application that person has to reside in the country.
Which in case of Belgium would translate info following:
1. To be there physically at the day of the application was sent (that can be done very easily given that UK and Belgium are neighbor countries
2. To have a residency permit. Since the other condition is to be a citizen of Belgium, so this permit would be a permanent residency permit. So as long as that person still has a permanent residency address there, there should not be a problem.

Now what is requested are working holiday - a program that takes much faster to approve and one has to use it rather fast after that. (we are speaking about 3-6 months from the time of application until that person will go to Canada).
Of course once you send your application (and all is OK there), you do not expect to stay in UK anymore, so transition through Belgium should not be problematic (to stay there during the application time).

Situation would be different for somebody who does not have permanent residency in Belgium (a rules to get it might include long term rental contract for example).