Star Member
Oct 19, 2010
kingston, Jamaica
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello Forum,

I was wondering when providing a bank statement do they really verify the account, I have an old bank statement with more funds then I currently have at the moment. Im just worried I don't have sufficient documents I currently have a letter from my tenant stating that he pays x amt. per month, a work letter from my director, a letter from my mother-in-law stating that food and accommodations will be taken care by her and a letter finalizing the purchase of our home by my wife and I. Should I attach my proof of funds or not provide it. Please any input would be appreciated.

Thank you

ashokcan

Apr 28, 2011
cocomtl said:
Hello Forum,

I was wondering when providing a bank statement do they really verify the account, I have an old bank statement with more funds then I currently have at the moment. Im just worried I don't have sufficient documents I currently have a letter from my tenant stating that he pays x amt. per month, a work letter from my director, a letter from my mother-in-law stating that food and accommodations will be taken care by her and a letter finalizing the purchase of our home by my wife and I. Should I attach my proof of funds or not provide it. Please any input would be appreciated.

Thank you
Hi,

Do you have a saving or current account in any Bank ? Are you employed ?

cocomtl

Star Member
Oct 19, 2010
kingston, Jamaica
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

Yes my Husband is employed and does have a bank acct. as for funds available in his acct. they are more than moderate. We own a house and have a rental agreement from our tenant and a letter from my mother stating that accommodation and food will be taken care of on her behalf. Do you think this will suffice?? My original question was if he should put an old statement from his acct when it had a decent amount of money to present to CIC ??? Help and thanks.

larryUK

Star Member
Mar 13, 2012
I would guess if they ask for a bank statement it needs to be recent, as what does an old bank statement prove? They want to see what money you available now, not what you used to have surely?

I don't know if it's different for me as I'm from a visa exempt country but when I was over there recently on a long stay they basically took my word for it when I sent in online applications to extend my stay (had to get visitor records rather than visa), all I did was enclose a photo of my bank cards and told them how much money I had available and was fine but there is no way they could of verified what I was telling them. I told the truth though I don't think you should lie or bend the truth so maybe sending in out of date bank statements wont really help?

cocomtl

Star Member
Oct 19, 2010
kingston, Jamaica
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Very true, well as for his bank statement it is moderate, so we might not attach one and highlight the rest that he has hence the house, the job ? What you think

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
You must be from a non visa exempt country or this wouldn't be an issue. The biggest problem here is proving STRONG TIES to your country which includes employment, investments, establishment. If your bank account has a moderate balance and more than enough to cover trip expenses and expenses you would face when you get home, then you should show your current statement. I agree with LarryUK that an old statement is of little value. A VO might actually see it as a red flag that your account balance is no longer at that level. DO NOT rely on your invitor's offer to pay for all your expenses once in Canada to get you points toward the visa. The VO can say - what if you have a falling out with the invitor? How will you support yourself for the rest of your stay in Canada and effect your return home? If you have an established job and income, you should be able to pay your way. The whole idea of proving your ties to home is to show that you have more reason to leave Canada than you have to overstay. Definitely show proof of ownership of your property with a notarized copy of your property title, house tax assessment, etc, also the lease agreement with your tenant. Letter from the employer granting the leave and date of return. Include mention of any family members who live in your country. Describe how long you have lived there, worked at present job, level of responsibility. Also include any foreign travel you have done in the past. This no only shows your pattern of returning back to your country, but also that you have the finances with which to travel. This gives further evidence of your establishment in your country. All the best.