+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Background completed, no final decision yet

appleuser

Nov 6, 2023
I just received the news that after 7 months of waiting, my background verification has been completed on January 11, according to the IRCC tracker. However, I haven't been approved or rejected yet. Also, the IRCC portal shows that my background is still in progress. It's a bittersweet feeling, but I wonder how long it could take after background to get a final answer. This is for a study permit. Also, is this wait an indication that I will be approved? Thanks.

Last edited:

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I just received the news that after 7 months of waiting, my background verification has been completed on January 11, according to the IRCC tracker. However, I haven't been approved or rejected yet. Also, the IRCC portal shows that my background is still in progress. It's a bittersweet feeling, but I wonder how long it could take after background to get a final answer. This is for a study permit. Also, is this wait an indication that I will be approved? Thanks.
Background check completion is no indicator of approval. Is eligibility complete? Where do you live?

appleuser

Nov 6, 2023
When does your semester start? No idea when you will get a response and still need passport stamped.
It starts in two days. Might or might not have to defer again to September (thats why my desperation). Any information on how long others usually wait after background and elegibility will be very useful

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
It starts in two days. Might or might not have to defer again to September (thats why my desperation). Any information on how long others usually wait after background and elegibility will be very useful
There are no specific timelines. You need to get passport stamped. Do you know how long it takes from your country? Can you miss any classes like the first two weeks or would you get so behind and fail the semester? If not response by Monday then consider deferring. Not sure if you will get response over the weekend but who knows.

appleuser

Nov 6, 2023
There are no specific timelines. You need to get passport stamped. Do you know how long it takes from your country? Can you miss any classes like the first two weeks or would you get so behind and fail the semester? If not response by Monday then consider deferring. Not sure if you will get response over the weekend but who knows.
I actually have until Jan 25 to arrive before having to defer. I can surely miss the first two weeks or so and not fail later. I also dont know how long passport stamping takes. I would expect an answer on weekdays

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I actually have until Jan 25 to arrive before having to defer. I can surely miss the first two weeks or so and not fail later. I also dont know how long passport stamping takes. I would expect an answer on weekdays.
So you have another week. Honestly passport stamping usually takes at least two weeks (10 business days) as you have to courier your passport to requested office, wait and then have it sent back.

appleuser

Nov 6, 2023
So you have another week. Honestly passport stamping usually takes at least two weeks (10 business days) as you have to courier your passport to requested office, wait and then have it sent back.
Ok I think I can talk with my program director about this. I will keep this thread updated. Fingers crossed I get approved on time. Thanks a lot Naturgurl