+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Back to USA after getting Canada Citizen Ship

imhasheikh

Nov 27, 2022
Hello
I want to know if someone came to Canada from illegal land border and Claim Asylum here and later on he got citizen ship and want to visit USA , so what will be the process
? i heard there is any apology letter need to submit to USA Immigration ? please guide what is way to go USA after getting Canada Citizen ship

Regards

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello
I want to know if someone came to Canada from illegal land border and Claim Asylum here and later on he got citizen ship and want to visit USA , so what will be the process
? i heard there is any apology letter need to submit to USA Immigration ? please guide what is way to go USA after getting Canada Citizen ship

Regards
Wait until you get Canadian passport.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Hello

Regards
If you crossed illegally from the US to claim asylum, there is a chance you'll be facing a lifetime ban from the US. Canadian citizenship won't change that.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hello

Regards
There is no “ apology “ letter . This isn’t elementary school . The US Department of State is WAY more unforgiving when someone uses the visa issued for something other than what they were told it was going to be used for . Aka lying.
Getting Canadian Citizenship isn’t suddenly going to wipe the slate clean

Last edited:
Reactions: klubsoda

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello

Regards
There is no apology letter process. Once you have Canadian citizenship and your Canadian passport, you would simply attempt to travel to the US based on that passport and see what happens. It will be up to the US whether they allow you in or not. When you attempt to travel for the first time, I would recommend that you keep your trip relatively short, have proof of your return travel to Canada, and bring evidence of ties to Canada (e.g. proof of employment, property ownership / rental).

Based on what we have seen in the refugee / asylum section of the forum, people are usually able to visit the US once they have Canadian citizenship (and provided that they don't have any criminality, misrepresentation or other issues from their time in the US) however it can be more difficult to obtain a visitor visa to the US while still only a permanent resident. Also keep in mind that if you overstayed in the US (i.e. were in the US without status), you may have receive an automatic ban from the US when you left the US. This ban remains in place even after you get Canadian citizenship and you would in this case have to wait for the ban to end before trying to enter the US again.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If you crossed illegally from the US to claim asylum, there is a chance you'll be facing a lifetime ban from the US. Canadian citizenship won't change that.
OP won't get an official lifetime ban for crossing illegally. This is not one of the criteria where the US gives lifetime bans. Of course without knowing the OP's full history in the US it's impossible to comment on what the exact situation may be. There may be other relevant factors which could influence / impact the ability to enter the US in the future.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Really depends if they accrued any unlawful presence while they were in the US if the various bans come into affect. If one has a permanent ban, gaining Canadian citizenship would not miraculously make that ban disappear

“Unlawful Presence and Inadmissibility
Unlawful presence is the period of time when you are in the United States without being admitted or paroled or when you are not in a “period of stay authorized by the Secretary.” You will be found inadmissible (unless an exception applies):
  • If you again seek admission within three years of departing the United States, after having accrued more than 180 days but less than one year of unlawful presence during a single stay and before removal proceedings begin;
  • If you again seek admission within 10 years of departing or being removed from the United States, after having accrued one year or more of unlawful presence during a single stay, regardless of whether you leave before, during, or after removal proceedings; or
  • Permanently, if you reenter or try to reenter the United States without being admitted or paroled after having accrued more than one year of unlawful presence in the aggregate during one or more stays in the United States.”

• https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-8-part-j-chapter-2
  • If they willfully gave wrong information when they were applying for a visa to enter the States , then that’s another story.Saying they were going to go on vacation but then used that visa to go cross into Canada to claim asylum . That’s misrepresentation. US Visa are issued by the Department of State . They are WAY more unforgiving for misrepresentation than the IRCC.

Last edited: