Bachelor 3 vs 4 year and confusion

sheikhzaid

Aug 14, 2011
Visa Office......
Chennai
AOR Received.
12-07-2019
Hi,

I am doing Bachelor's from Swinburne University in Australia. I have a question regarding the degree and transfer process. Here the B.Sc Degree in Computer Science is 3 years and in Canada its 4 years. As per my understanding i won't be allowed to take admission in PG degree if my degree is not 4 year bachelor. I have been thinking two solution please suggest and correct me if i am wrong.

1. I finish my degree here and then take transfer to SFU (for example) for my last year and finish my degree there.
2. Or tell me if there is any other of moving to Canada and study further or work. (I am looking for permanent residency)

I have one more doubt. Suppose i finish my degree here and get Bachelor Degree and then i transfer my courses to SFU (as we know in many cases they only ask for transcript and course outline) will i be committing a crime ?

propain

Champion Member
Sep 1, 2013
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
take a transfer for your last year at sfu,

sfu has good rankings and it would help you get a good job and settle peacefully here as that is what your ultimate goal is.

cheers

sheikhzaid

Aug 14, 2011
Visa Office......
Chennai
AOR Received.
12-07-2019
Ok But i do have a question. As a lot of people say nowadays that go for Master only if i want to become a professor or something. So should finish Bachelor and opt for some diploma ? My other question was if i finish my degree here and awarded degree then i transfer all my courses to SFU and completing degree there. Will this be a crime or illegal ?

flatblack

Apr 8, 2014
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney (+PPR docs sent to Ottawa)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-06-2014
AOR Received.
31-07-2014 (SA), 17-08-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
24-11-2014
VISA ISSUED...
12-12-2014
LANDED..........
12-12-2014
1. You would need to ask Swinburne if you are able to transfer credits "from" SFU. You would also need to contact SFU and ask if they allow non-degree foreign enrollments in the upper-year courses. You will not likely be able to transfer all your Swinburne credits "to" SFU. From what I have heard, you can only transfer 1 or 2 years worth of full-time credits, but this really depends on the school the credits are coming from and university policies. You can't transfer 3 years worth of credits to another university.

2. Sounds like your stuck on Vancouver. Finish your 3 year program at Swinburne, then apply to a diploma program at BCIT related to computer science. Will need to go the student visa route in this case.

Btw, I have studied computer science in both Canada and Australia ... and I can tell you the SFU comp sci curriculum is much harder than what's at Swinburne. They're almost at opposite ends of the spectrum. The SFU comp sci program, in terms of curriculum style and difficulty, would be more along the lines of Univ of Melbourne/Univ of Sydney/UNSW/ANU. You would be better of switching to a 4 or 5 year degree in Australia, if you really needed the 4 year degree.

A masters would be a good long term investment for your career even if you don't do a PhD.

sheikhzaid

Aug 14, 2011
Visa Office......
Chennai
AOR Received.
12-07-2019
Does BCIT provide PG diploma ?
And i don't have a problem with 3 year program its just that 3 year program is not acceptable in Canada right ?