+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BABY BORN IN USA AFTER RECEVING COPR

Nehapatel92K

Jun 7, 2022
I am from India and now living in the United States with my husband and daughter. I got my COPR through Ontario PNP on November 16th,2023. Our COPR expiry date is August 30,2024. we're expecting our baby in the month of July,2024. However, we want our baby to be born in US. so, we're planning to move to Canada after our baby is born.

We came to know from FB groups that we need to inform IRCC about change in our family status, as our COPR will be deemed invalid soon after our baby is delivered, and we need to follow the process of getting new COPRs .

However, I did not find any details of such on IRCC website, I am very confused and worried, as IRCC seems to be not responding to Webforms, so that option is out of the window, Some people suggested earlier that we need to contact our VO. so if that's true then,

1- How to contact our VO?, Where can we find their contact info.?
2- What are the steps after that, what is the timeline we can expect till we have our new COPRs.?
3- Do we need to submit the original documents (passport, birth certificate of the baby) or wait till we get the response from them?
4- What is the response time from VO.?

Additionally, I have a colleague who was in the same situation, but she went to Canada without informing IRCC about their newborn, and did a soft-landing with their baby and came back to US. Border agent asked about the baby, but they mentioned that "Baby is a US citizen and will be travelling as a visitor and they will be adding their baby to their profile later on", and Border agent let them through.

I WOULD REALLY APPRICIATE IF YOU CAN EXPLAIN THE PROCESS IN DETAIL, Provide any IRCC or CIC links if possible.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH IN ADVANCE.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I am from India and now living in the United States with my husband and daughter. I got my COPR through Ontario PNP on November 16th,2023. Our COPR expiry date is August 30,2024. we're expecting our baby in the month of July,2024. However, we want our baby to be born in US. so, we're planning to move to Canada after our baby is born.

We came to know from FB groups that we need to inform IRCC about change in our family status, as our COPR will be deemed invalid soon after our baby is delivered, and we need to follow the process of getting new COPRs .

However, I did not find any details of such on IRCC website, I am very confused and worried, as IRCC seems to be not responding to Webforms, so that option is out of the window, Some people suggested earlier that we need to contact our VO. so if that's true then,
There is, literally, no change in family status of which to advise IRCC until the child is born. If you write before the child is born, you might get a form response saying children need to be added to your app, or you might get nothing. Read them carefully but they're not and can't be 'advice' about what to do.

My view, you have two options:
1) Wait until the child is born and then add them to your app and be subject to some delays. (Docs, medicals, etc).
2) You, the principal applicant, go to Canada and do soft landing before the child is born, and then return to the USA. You are a PR at that point. After you move to Canada, you can sponsor the child.

There are some minor differences in delays and some bigger issues such as the child may not have access to Canadian health insurance until they become a PR (if the kid becomes a PR with you, then at the same time as you, or potentially delayed in scenario 2 above). You;d need some insurance and would still face some issues, esp and possibly large ones if the child has serious medical issues.

Additionally, I have a colleague who was in the same situation, but she went to Canada without informing IRCC about their newborn, and did a soft-landing with their baby and came back to US. Border agent asked about the baby, but they mentioned that "Baby is a US citizen and will be travelling as a visitor and they will be adding their baby to their profile later on", and Border agent let them through.
This was stupendously bad advice from the border agent, hope your friend didn't end up getting screwed. Surprised the border agent let the landing happen at all. You can't just add family members at the border who haven't been examined. The US passport bit is a red herring, the kid could travel to Canada, but hypothetically never be sponsored - ever. It's possible the CBSA officer adding the kid got them out of a serious nightmare. (What should ahve happened is the CBSA officer should ahve told them to go back and add the kid through the IRCC procedures).

Nehapatel92K

Jun 7, 2022
Thank you for the reply, I am leaning towards your 1st option "Wait until the child is born and then add them to your app and be subject to some delays. (Docs, medicals, etc)." this seems to viable one , However, In this case, how do I contact IRCC on my issue.? can you please share any links from CIC or IRCC website. Again thank you very much for your response @armoured.

There is, literally, no change in family status of which to advise IRCC until the child is born. If you write before the child is born, you might get a form response saying children need to be added to your app, or you might get nothing. Read them carefully but they're not and can't be 'advice' about what to do.

My view, you have two options:
1) Wait until the child is born and then add them to your app and be subject to some delays. (Docs, medicals, etc).
2) You, the principal applicant, go to Canada and do soft landing before the child is born, and then return to the USA. You are a PR at that point. After you move to Canada, you can sponsor the child.

There are some minor differences in delays and some bigger issues such as the child may not have access to Canadian health insurance until they become a PR (if the kid becomes a PR with you, then at the same time as you, or potentially delayed in scenario 2 above). You;d need some insurance and would still face some issues, esp and possibly large ones if the child has serious medical issues.

This was stupendously bad advice from the border agent, hope your friend didn't end up getting screwed. Surprised the border agent let the landing happen at all. You can't just add family members at the border who haven't been examined. The US passport bit is a red herring, the kid could travel to Canada, but hypothetically never be sponsored - ever. It's possible the CBSA officer adding the kid got them out of a serious nightmare. (What should ahve happened is the CBSA officer should ahve told them to go back and add the kid through the IRCC procedures).

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you for the reply, I am leaning towards your 1st option "Wait until the child is born and then add them to your app and be subject to some delays. (Docs, medicals, etc)." this seems to viable one , However, In this case, how do I contact IRCC on my issue.? can you please share any links from CIC or IRCC website. Again thank you very much for your response @armoured.
Your copr has some info about what to do if changes in family - with contacts. And general ircc webform and phone. Or The office that handled your app. I don't have any better contacts than that.

Reactions: Nehapatel92K