+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Availability of casual labour/landscaping work

minimoose90

Sep 28, 2020
Hi all,

This is my first time posting so thank you in advance for your help!

I am currently in the process of looking at degree/diploma options in both Canada and Australia to re-train in a completely new field (international tuitions fees are not that much more than simply re-training at home in the UK so looking to study abroad) to commence September 2021. If successful I would be coming to Canada on an International Student permit and would be bringing my partner with me on an Open Work Permit. He would be looking for casual work in landscaping/labouring, which is in abundance in Australia (we were there on a WHV until March 2020 so have experience of the casual job market there), so as part of the decision making process we wondered what the availability of casual work is like in Canada? More specifically in either BC or AB as thats where most of the suitable courses I've found seem to be.

I appreciate the job market could be completely different this time next year, but some general idea of the availability of casual labouring/landscaping work would be great. He's extremely talented and hardworking; he will definitely want to keep busy whilst I am studying!

Many thanks in advance!

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
Hi all,

I am currently in the process of looking at degree/diploma options in both Canada and Australia to re-train in a completely new field (international tuitions fees are not that much more than simply re-training at home in the UK so looking to study abroad) to commence September 2021. If successful I would be coming to Canada on an International Student permit and would be bringing my partner with me on an Open Work Permit. He would be looking for casual work in landscaping/labouring, which is in abundance in Australia (we were there on a WHV until March 2020 so have experience of the casual job market there), so as part of the decision making process we wondered what the availability of casual work is like in Canada? More specifically in either BC or AB as thats where most of the suitable courses I've found seem to be.

I appreciate the job market could be completely different this time next year, but some general idea of the availability of casual labouring/landscaping work would be great. He's extremely talented and hardworking; he will definitely want to keep busy whilst I am studying!

Many thanks in advance!
Alot of gen labor jobs available

Reactions: minimoose90

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi all,

Many thanks in advance!
You should be aware that a spouse or common law partner is not guaranteed a permit to accompany they spouse/common-law. It confuses many people because it says you can apply but not everyone is approved,

Reactions: minimoose90

minimoose90

Sep 28, 2020
You should be aware that a spouse or common law partner is not guaranteed a permit to accompany they spouse/common-law. It confuses many people because it says you can apply but not everyone is approved,
Don't worry, I'm aware that its not a guarantee that we'll get our respective permits. Is there anything in particular that goes against an applicant of the Open Work permit (e.g. is it impacted by the course I am doing, or what type of work he would be doing, etc)?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Don't worry, I'm aware that its not a guarantee that we'll get our respective permits. Is there anything in particular that goes against an applicant of the Open Work permit (e.g. is it impacted by the course I am doing, or what type of work he would be doing, etc)?
The criteria isn’t not announced but from what I have observed those doing a
n advanced degree like a masters or PhD have are much chance, extra finances to support the couple in case employment isn’t found, how much of a relationship the couple has, etc.

minimoose90

Sep 28, 2020
The criteria isn’t not announced but from what I have observed those doing a
n advanced degree like a masters or PhD have are much chance, extra finances to support the couple in case employment isn’t found, how much of a relationship the couple has, etc.
Makes sense :) thanks for the info!

Antafinyb

Aug 29, 2021
Don't you think that Canada and Australia are two different options and you should choose only one of them? Or you're interested in any of these countries. As far as I understand, you want to enroll in the specialty of landscape design. If I remember correctly, this is a well-paid job in the UK, especially landscaping in Victoria BC, because there are a lot of private houses and large cottages whose owners always want to change something in the territory of their possessions, adding or removing various details. I'm sure you will also achieve success in the UK. It is not necessary to go far away.

Last edited: