+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Australia to Canada - Options

GRETZKY99

Sep 27, 2013
Hello, new to the forum :)

Myself 31 and my wife 27 are both living and working in Australia (Citizens) we would like to work and live over in Canada (Calgary, Edmonton or Toronto)

Im in IT with 4yrs experience along with 9yrs experience in Retail (management to shit kicker jobs), my wife is in the Finance - Credit with over 8yrs experience.

OUR OPTIONS:

IEC WHV - i have applied and was approved but due to family reasons i will not b be able to leave by the due date (as shame i cant extend while its still current), my wife on the other hand can apply for this but doesnt want to travel without me.

Visitor Visa - I was thinking that perhaps if my wife did do the IEC WHV then i could accompany her if i was on a 6mth visitor visa and extend each time but while reading other people refussed visitor visa applications im kinda thinking this is not a good idea.

However an information via email from IEC mentioned this which might give me a ray of hope - "On arrival at the Canadian port of entry, a person accompanying their spouse or common-law partner or parent who holds the IEC work permit may ask to be granted admission to Canada for a duration coinciding with their spouse or common-law partner or parent's IEC work permit but the Port of Entry Officer has the discretion to grant this or not. The spouse must provide a copy of the marriage certificate; the child, a copy of the birth certificate along with a written consent of the other non-accompanying parent if the child is travelling with only one parent; while the common-law partner must submit documentary evidence to show you have cohabited in an ongoing relationship for a minimum period of 12 months. This may include copies of documents such as: joint bank statements or statements to the same address; joint property ownership; superannuation beneficiary declaration/s; wills, etc. and include Statutory Declaration of Common Law Union"

So if i bring all supporting documentation, living, marriage, etc there is a possibility then ???

NOC List - There are some occupations that appear within the NOC List (type B) that my wife and i suit for, could this be an option for us aswell ???

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kiwisteph

Star Member
Sep 28, 2013
Hiya
I know you said you can't leave to start your IEC visa before the offer expires, but is it worth going over to trigger your 2 year work visa on a little holiday and then returning to Australia until you can go back to start work?
I'm guessing you had to apply due to your 31st birthday approaching?

Obviously it would chew into your 2 year time frame but it is the easiest visa to use. Your wife could then apply for hers just before you go so her 2 yrs starts at the right time. Once either of you gets 1 year full time canadian experience in your NOC you can apply for CEC perm residency.

We are kiwis so only get a 1yr IEC visa and can't renew so we used ours and left but are our now trying to get an lmo from my husbands ex employer so we can get back and get 1yr+ experience to apply for CEC permanent residency. We have found this is a longer/harder process than if we'd stayed in the country to try and extend and get the right visas so if you can get over on IEC and get your perm residency in before your 2 years expires you'll be laughing. An open work permit through IEC makes it way easier esp for you lucky Aussies who still get 2 years.

Worst case if your 2 years runs out before your wives I'm sure you can switch to visitor visa while you wait for perm residency if that's what you end up wanting to do.

Good luck, hope you work something out. :D

GRETZKY99

Sep 27, 2013
Kiwisteph said:
Hiya
I know you said you can't leave to start your IEC visa before the offer expires, but is it worth going over to trigger your 2 year work visa on a little holiday and then returning to Australia until you can go back to start work?
I'm guessing you had to apply due to your 31st birthday approaching?

Obviously it would chew into your 2 year time frame but it is the easiest visa to use. Your wife could then apply for hers just before you go so her 2 yrs starts at the right time. Once either of you gets 1 year full time canadian experience in your NOC you can apply for CEC perm residency.

We are kiwis so only get a 1yr IEC visa and can't renew so we used ours and left but are our now trying to get an lmo from my husbands ex employer so we can get back and get 1yr+ experience to apply for CEC permanent residency. We have found this is a longer/harder process than if we'd stayed in the country to try and extend and get the right visas so if you can get over on IEC and get your perm residency in before your 2 years expires you'll be laughing. An open work permit through IEC makes it way easier esp for you lucky Aussies who still get 2 years.

Worst case if your 2 years runs out before your wives I'm sure you can switch to visitor visa while you wait for perm residency if that's what you end up wanting to do.

Good luck, hope you work something out. :D
Yes before i turned 31 to get it approved all was on track for my wife and i until family reason popped up.

Ill be getting my wife to apply for her IEC WHV and ill go over with her, if i take our supporting document, marriage certificate, bank statements, etc, i should be able to accompany her under as a spousal dependant as she is the one with the IEC work permit. Its certainly worth a shot IMO.