+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Attemp softlanding or just quarantine and return

dousedfire

Sep 13, 2020
Hi,

We are US H1B's with COPR expiring Nov. Ideally, we want to soft-land now and go for good in 2022. Since soft landing is officially not allowed and we cannot settle now, we have plans ready to quarantine for 14 days and also a short-term lease of 2-months after that. Our plan was to stay in Canada till 2021 start, come back, and go after a year. We also have remote-work authorization from our current employer to work form Canada. We don't want to attempt extension of our COPR given that it was already extended once because of other reasons.

I have recently seen a bunch of posts about successful soft-landing, especially via the land border. Given this information:

a) I want to be fully prepared for our 3-month 'settlement' plan but at the border try to first soft-land and if soft-landing is not allowed then try to enter by saying that we are also prepared for settlement. My wife thinks that switching like this will raise doubts about our settlement plan and we will be denied entry. My argument was going to be to tell the officer that we came prepared for both eventualities, especially given our somewhat-strong proof that we want to settle: pre-paid quarantine/rental agreements, remote work authorization, and the fact that we will have our dog during the crossing.

b) My wife wants us to start by saying we are here to settle and at least do the quarantine.

c) The third option is to stick to our original plan and stay till 2021.

What is your opinion about a)? Can we try a) and if we are not allowed in, go the next day and say we are here to settle and do b) or c)?

Any data points from your experience would be very useful in determining our final strategy.

aksdeo

Mar 26, 2019
Hi,

We are US H1B's with COPR expiring Nov. Ideally, we want to soft-land now and go for good in 2022. Since soft landing is officially not allowed and we cannot settle now, we have plans ready to quarantine for 14 days and also a short-term lease of 2-months after that. Our plan was to stay in Canada till 2021 start, come back, and go after a year. We also have remote-work authorization from our current employer to work form Canada. We don't want to attempt extension of our COPR given that it was already extended once because of other reasons.

I have recently seen a bunch of posts about successful soft-landing, especially via the land border. Given this information:

a) I want to be fully prepared for our 3-month 'settlement' plan but at the border try to first soft-land and if soft-landing is not allowed then try to enter by saying that we are also prepared for settlement. My wife thinks that switching like this will raise doubts about our settlement plan and we will be denied entry. My argument was going to be to tell the officer that we came prepared for both eventualities, especially given our somewhat-strong proof that we want to settle: pre-paid quarantine/rental agreements, remote work authorization, and the fact that we will have our dog during the crossing.

b) My wife wants us to start by saying we are here to settle and at least do the quarantine.

c) The third option is to stick to our original plan and stay till 2021.

What is your opinion about a)? Can we try a) and if we are not allowed in, go the next day and say we are here to settle and do b) or c)?

Any data points from your experience would be very useful in determining our final strategy.
We are exactly in the same boat and after seeing some positive U turn stories, we decided to go and request them to allow for us to return to US on the same day. Many stories from July and latest by Mid Sept make me believe we should try for same day return with back up plan to quarantine for 14 days if needed.
What POE are you planning?

nipsey

Feb 11, 2020
better to stick with one plan than switching options based on circumstances at the POE. Best would be to just tell them that you are here for good but you have goods in the GTF list which you plan to move some time later (don't know when). Enter, quarantine, get you basic stuff done, wait for your PR card and then fly/drive back. No one questions when you exit.

mnsan81

Feb 28, 2021
Hi All,

Please help me on below questions : I am planning to cross Peace Bridge in 3rd week of May 2021.

1. PCR test is required for soft landing or come back on same day to USA?
2. Quarantine plan is required if i plan to return on same day?
3. PCR test is required while coming back from canada to usa by land in peace bridge?
4. can i travel on Saturday for COPR verification?
5. document checklist for COPR verification by land travel

Thanks in advance!
Thanks.

Last edited: