+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Asylum Refugee & Its relation to the student visa.

talhaixlam

Aug 5, 2016
Lahore, Pakistan.
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
IELTS Request
Already done - 7.0 Band DECEMBER 2015
I have questions about the asylum claim in the Canada and its impact on the visas of the family members of the person who claimed the asylum. My father has the valid Canadian visitor visa and he may apply for asylum when he will return back to Canada (Personal reasons), but minimum age is 19 for children to be valid as a dependent so he cannot sponsor us except my mom to Canada as we are 3 siblings are over 19.
So, we all have to choose the other programs to immigrate to Canada. In my opinion the study visas should be the best because we are students and doing well in our studies, I have recently done the intermediate and my elder siblings both are doing MS (leading to PhD).
I have my question in two parts.
1) If I got the approval of study visa before my father made the claim, what are the consequences about the study visa extension of the student if his father already claimed the refugee asylum. (Does the refugee asylum has any impact on the extension study visa of his son)?
2) What will happen if my father made the claim for refugee asylum before the approval of my study visa. (What are the consequences of that, will it lead to refusal of my visa)?
I’m planning to get the may intake in 2017.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1) There should be no impact.
2) This will significantly increase the chances your visa will be refused.

talhaixlam

Aug 5, 2016
Lahore, Pakistan.
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
IELTS Request
Already done - 7.0 Band DECEMBER 2015
scylla said:
1) There should be no impact.
2) This will significantly increase the chances your visa will be refused.
Thank-You! It was quite helpful. (so there will be no impact on my study visa extension if my father made the refugee claim in Canada).

obib

Star Member
Dec 3, 2011
...but you are missing the first part as advised by Scylla.Unless you have your study permit and possibly already in Canada before he makes the asylum claim,you may aswell kiss it good bye.Claiming asylum makes subsequent visa application of those linked to the asylum or those included extremely difficult if not impossible until case successfully ends in PR

Tahsin01

Nov 18, 2023
If the refugee claim is refused will it be problem for other members of family to go by study permit later on?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If the refugee claim is refused will it be problem for other members of family to go by study permit later on?
Yes, a failed refugee claim will make future study permits, work permits, and visitor visas more difficult.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Even if asylum is approved it will likely be difficult for family members to study, work and visit unless there is a very individual need for one member of the family to secure protection. For example one member of the family was part of the LGBTQIA+ population. There will be concerns that the rest of the family will claim asylum. As time passes it may get easier. Applying for asylum comes with consequences no matter what which is why is should always be last resort option.