+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Asking for being a Doctor in Canada

Khoathd

Jun 19, 2022
Hi guys,
I've worked as a Doctor in Vietnam and had got a Master Degree here. I've been researching how to become a Doctor in Canada but I have some questions:
1. To my knowledge, I need PR and MCQEE part 1 in order to apply for residency. Is it different from each province? And is it difficult to have a residency matching?
2. I've read some threads about finding a job after getting full licensed and found out it's very difficult, even for Canadian Doctors, to find a job after residency. So can I ask if it possible for an international doctor like me to find a job if I luckily get full licensed?
Many thanks!

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
Hi guys,
I've worked as a Doctor in Vietnam and had got a Master Degree here. I've been researching how to become a Doctor in Canada but I have some questions:
1. To my knowledge, I need PR and MCQEE part 1 in order to apply for residency. Is it different from each province? And is it difficult to have a residency matching?
2. I've read some threads about finding a job after getting full licensed and found out it's very difficult, even for Canadian Doctors, to find a job after residency. So can I ask if it possible for an international doctor like me to find a job if I luckily get full licensed?
Many thanks!
https://www.mcc.ca/about/route-to-licensure/?cn-reloaded=1

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi guys,
Many thanks!
where did you study and do your training to become as physician? You say you’ve worked as a doctor in Vietnam but it’s unclear if that is where you’ve been educated and trained. what type of medicine do you practice? Do you want to keep practicing that specialty? Yes it can be difficult to find a job after you get licensed but the biggest stumbling block for IMGs is getting a residency spot. There are very few spots left after the Canadian medical students have selected their residency spots and a very large number of IMGs. The majority of spots left are family medicine, pathology, public health and psychiatry and a good portion are French speaking residencies. If you are fluent in French you have a better chance of getting a residency spot. Canada is one of the most difficult places for IMGs to get relicensed unless you were trained in the UK, US, Ireland, South Africa, Australia and NewZealand. If you come to Canada as an IMG you need to be prepared to never practice medicine again. If you know you want to practice medicine there are other countries that make it so much easier to practice medicine. For example the UK is hiring lots of IMGs. Even the US is a better market although you usually have to practice in an u deserved community.