+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Arranged or Not arranged marriage IMM5490

vancouverite

Feb 7, 2011
In IMM 5490 Question 3. Did anyone (individual or organization) introdure you to your sponsor?
What is the definintion of introduction?

She had an online profile to which I replied and she replied back. After months of talking, I told my aunt who lives near her place to go and see her and her family (very commonly done in asia). After that I also went to finally meet her and her family in person. After a few days and gettig to her and her family, we decided to het married. Now my question is this? Who introduced us?
My Aunt? who met her and her family, also knew me and was present the day we both met for the first time? or no one did we did this ourseelves.

Also during al this our parents were communicating to each other and even thought I proposed to her, I had to tell my parents who eventually disscussed it with hers. Now does this make it an arranged marriageor what ever the definintion of it is? Acording to question 17. If yes then who do i put for as a person who arranged the marriage?

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
vancouverite said:
In IMM 5490 Question 3. Did anyone (individual or organization) introdure you to your sponsor?
What is the definintion of introduction?

She had an online profile to which I replied and she replied back. After months of talking, I told my aunt who lives near her place to go and see her and her family (very commonly done in asia). After that I also went to finally meet her and her family in person. After a few days and gettig to her and her family, we decided to het married. Now my question is this? Who introduced us?
My Aunt? who met her and her family, also knew me and was present the day we both met for the first time? or no one did we did this ourseelves.
Here, I would say no one introduced you - you 'met' online. 'Introduce' would really mean someone who knew you both put you in touch with each other.
Also during al this our parents were communicating to each other and even thought I proposed to her, I had to tell my parents who eventually disscussed it with hers. Now does this make it an arranged marriageor what ever the definintion of it is? Acording to question 17. If yes then who do i put for as a person who arranged the marriage?
Here to me it seems your marriage is partly arranged, so I would just explain everything as you have done here, with any proof you have.
Any time your situation does not fit neatly into the boxes on the forms, just add an explanation.

nylalisa

Jan 2, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-12-2010
Doc's Request.
31-01-2011 (additional doc request)
AOR Received.
17-01-2011
File Transfer...
06-01-2011
Med's Request
30-03-2011
Med's Done....
21-10-2010
Interview........
30-03-2011 (Passed and approved same day)
Passport Req..
01-25-2011
VISA ISSUED...
04-04-2011 (Received 09-04-2011)
LANDED..........
13-04-2011
I agree with canadianwoman,

You met online, so no one introduced you to say. It is common in desi culture now (I am just using this as an example because it is my case and my culture) that we are using matrimonial sites, then families get involved. It is just going to take some extra explanation to make the picture clear to how the whole "relationship" itself unfolded. As far as it being arranged it is debated, you technically started the process, and family just gave their approval which is also the case in love matches. So like I said be clear about the whole situation, extra explanation on a seperate sheet will be useful here.

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
I don't think it falls under an arranged marriage in the immigration sense. In some countries, marriages are arranged between families when the couple does not even know each other. Although this is customary, it can sometimes be for purposes of immigration, so CIC will look more carefully as those unions - even though it is strictly legal. Even though your families met each other and, obviously, were supportive of the relationship (maybe did a little matchmaking even) it sounds as though you and your wife met each other and decided to marry all by yourselves.

nylalisa

Jan 2, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-12-2010
Doc's Request.
31-01-2011 (additional doc request)
AOR Received.
17-01-2011
File Transfer...
06-01-2011
Med's Request
30-03-2011
Med's Done....
21-10-2010
Interview........
30-03-2011 (Passed and approved same day)
Passport Req..
01-25-2011
VISA ISSUED...
04-04-2011 (Received 09-04-2011)
LANDED..........
13-04-2011
RobsLuv said:
I don't think it falls under an arranged marriage in the immigration sense. In some countries, marriages are arranged between families when the couple does not even know each other. Although this is customary, it can sometimes be for purposes of immigration, so CIC will look more carefully as those unions - even though it is strictly legal. Even though your families met each other and, obviously, were supportive of the relationship (maybe did a little matchmaking even) it sounds as though you and your wife met each other and decided to marry all by yourselves.
This is culturally dependant. If it is a south asian culture, we have a site such as Shaadi.com, which is a matrimonial website where a profile can be controlled by the person themselves that are listed or can be set up and controlled by a family member. Especially in Indian communities, our families being involved are sometimes way more important than "a little matchmaking". They can make or break your union. So in this case, although I do agree it was not arranged, I think it does warrant some other explanation. Because in the end, you sought her out and you guys got to know each other for months... but your families met first and approved the whole thing. At most it is semi-arranged like canadianwoman said but it's not an arranged marriage fully. Taking culture out of it, it's not different then someone meeting on the internet in another site and deciding to get married.