NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

Please advise on areas around Toronto?

Decent,
Safe,
Low crime rate,
Easy access to train/Bus to Downtown/Business district so that I can go an appear for interviews, while leaving the family behind.
Schools

Would you advise on rent-a-car in the beginning (since its a substantial cost)

What areas should I prefer based on some initial challenges and learning of the senior members?

Please help.

Also, is it necessary to rent a car if I plan to stay in GTA or any advise on loo

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Whether or not you need to rent a car in the beginning, really depends on the person, their affordability, how well the initial home is furnished (whether or not you have to go out to buy furniture, utensils, silverware, etc compare to the stores such as IKEA). For instance if you live near IKEA north york, I suppose you don't need to rent a car because of the proximity to Sheppard subway stations and grocery stores. Besides the area meets your criteria - decent, safe, low crime, easy access to downtown and good schools.

fresher_2013

Star Member
Jul 7, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks Steaky....

I will search for rental homes near north york IKEA store...

anujoshi

Star Member
Apr 18, 2015
Toronto, ON, Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Based on things you want to consider, I would suggest the following:

Crime Rate
CBC has released some "Crime Maps" which show you levels of crime in Toronto area. You can find this at cbc.ca/toronto/features/crimemap/

Access to Downtown
Somewhere in North York would be advisable because it is not directly in Toronto but still very close. There is subway access from parts of North York, which is approx 40-45 minutes single-ride commute from Downtown Toronto. Also, Mississauga is a good choice because it is family friendly and because you can take the GO Train (a little more expensive, and approx 45-60 minutes commute to Downtown Toronto usually).

Schools
Luckily there are schools in most residential areas within walking or bus distance. Once you narrow down the area you want to live in, you can search in some detail about schools of that area particularly. In my experience, most people do not worry about this as schools are very accessible overall.

Car
Depends on where you are living. If you want to live in more suburban area, car is recommended. If you are living with close access to train/subway/bus, then mostly you may be able to get by without a car. Mississauga has a good transit system, Toronto also does (North York is connected to Toronto by subway). Individually, you can get unlimited travel monthly pass for public transit. But on weekend or with family if you need to go somewhere, you may consider having a car.

Rental Apartment
You can check realtor.ca for reliable rental listings. When you click on a listing, at the bottom you can find something called "Walk Score" which can help you determine need for a car. Alternatively, I can help you find a rental place. I am a Realtor. You do not have to pay me (landlord will pay my fee). I can find you something near subway/easy access to Toronto, good for family, close to schools. Please email me at anujoshirealty@gmail.com with how many bedrooms you need and what is your monthly budget.

Hope that helps. Let me know if I can help with anything else. Best of luck!

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
fresher_2013 said:
Thanks Steaky....

I will search for rental homes near north york IKEA store...

Anywhere near the subway line eliminates the need for a car in your initial settlement period. North york is one of the finest areas in toronto, but it comes with a price tag as well.

Mapleson

Apr 2, 2015
Toronto, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Havana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-03-2015
Doc's Request.
21-08-2015
AOR Received.
24-04-2015
File Transfer...
28-05-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
13-02-2015
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
24-09-2015
VISA ISSUED...
30-09-2015
LANDED..........
18-10-2015
Canada is a very safe country already, for example, between 2006 and 2011, Red Deer, Alberta had 5 murders total, but in 2012 there were 6 (6.4 per 100K people) making it the worst in Canada for the year. That's a 0.5% chance of being murdered in 75 years. By comparison Flint, Michigan in the US had 63 (61.99 per 100K people) and was the worst in the US.

I personally within Toronto like the eastern part of North York and western part of Scarborough.

Don't rent a car until you have a reason to do so.

Rather than living near Ikea, you can always buy furniture with delivery (Ikea does delivery now).

Do you have any specific criteria for picking one area over another?

Dharmabum

May 5, 2012
i am looking @ Parkdale, Junction or roncesvalles in downtown toronto for a couple and a 2.5 yr old baby for July-Aug. Pref. not a condo, maybe a apartment in a house. We will have no job, credit report but can issue post dated chq for first and last month.
Suggest, help.

kiranvks

Jul 26, 2010
Hi
We are leasing our apartment starting MAY 24th 2015. Conveniently located at Steeles and Hurontario.
Its next to shoppers/Brampton bus terminal & has a Go Bus stop as well. Includes following features:
- Individual thermostatic controls for heat and air conditioning inside the apartment
- In-suite storage
- Indoor pool
- Fully equipped gyms
- Saunas
- Tennis court
- Party room
- Billiards room
- Table tennis
- New bright laundry room with comfortable lounge area
Its a Kaneff Building (http://kaneff.com/two-10/) with 905 sqft area. Rent: $1170, includes 1 underground parking. Hydro separate. Moving out due to job location. If interested, please contact 647 979 8495 / 647 979 8496 for viewing

fresher_2013

Star Member
Jul 7, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

I have visited and stayed in Toronto, Awesome place to live.

Great country to settle down.

I stayed by University Ave and Dundas. All places are nice and very well connected. Newcomers for short visit must stay close to all attractions and in the heart of downtown. Should not waste time in long commutes.

Happy to help anyone specific who needs to select a place to stay in Toronto (I am not an agent, but a visitor myself)

thanks,