+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

"Are you a Canadian citizen living exclusively outside Canada?" (form IMM1344)

Taddy

Sep 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
24-03-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
09-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
29-11-2015
You're right - he wasn't a tourist and he did have legal status in every country he lived for those years.

I guess I was showing that my sponsor was outside of Canada and didn't have a problem when he proved intention to return. I Can't speculate on how CIC will view the OP's status in China, and whether it will have a bearing on their application, as it did not apply to us.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
The status the Chinese government has given the sponsor does not matter. He is in fact in China and has been for two years. The visa officer processing the file will see that, so will expect the answer to be that he is living outside of Canada, and will want proof that he will return.

For example, I lived in South Korea for three years. During that time I was sometimes on a tourist visa, but the fact was, I was living there. I had an apartment. To say that I was not residing in South Korea because I did not have a long-term resident visa would not have helped me in any way when dealing with the government.

Just say that yes, you are living outside of Canada, and provide proof of your intent to return. Trying to claim that you are not living outside of Canada will just delay processing.

Qifulife

Oct 29, 2015
I am glad I asked. There are definitely a few ways of seeing it. Just want the safest way to go. Thanks all for your input!