+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Approval for Authorization to Travel

WandaWits

Mar 5, 2021
Hi, my husband applied for Authorization Travel for him and our children who are both minors. They have all valid visit visas. My children received their approval recently for the purpose of family reunification, but my husband has not. In the email, he explained that he will be accompanying our children to travel here but he will only stay for one month to assist me.We are wondering why there is no response regarding my husband's authorization to travel, though there is no refusal. Anyone who has experienced this?
Secondly, if my children were approved for family reunification, does it mean that they can automatically stay with me here in Canada and study until my permit expires.?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi, my husband applied for Authorization Travel for him and our children who are both minors. They have all valid visit visas. My children received their approval recently for the purpose of family reunification, but my husband has not. In the email, he explained that he will be accompanying our children to travel here but he will only stay for one month to assist me.We are wondering why there is no response regarding my husband's authorization to travel, though there is no refusal. Anyone who has experienced this?
Secondly, if my children were approved for family reunification, does it mean that they can automatically stay with me here in Canada and study until my permit expires.?
The slower processing of your husband's authorization may be due to the fact that he only has plans to remain in Canada short term. In such cases we are sometimes seeing longer processing times and sometimes refusals. Unfortunately there's really nothing you can do but wait and see what happens.

No, the family reunification approval does not give you children the ability to stay here in Canada until your visa expires. You will need to extend their visas periodically.

WandaWits

Mar 5, 2021
The slower processing of your husband's authorization may be due to the fact that he only has plans to remain in Canada short term. In such cases we are sometimes seeing longer processing times and sometimes refusals. Unfortunately there's really nothing you can do but wait and see what happens.

No, the family reunification approval does not give you children the ability to stay here in Canada until your visa expires. You will need to extend their visas periodically.
Thanks for replying. For the dependents' length of stay, I meant until my study permit expires since I am an international student. Which visa do you mean they extend if they have 5 years validity?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for replying. For the dependents' length of stay, I meant until my study permit expires since I am an international student. Which visa do you mean they extend if they have 5 years validity?
The validity of the visa/TRV they hold does not determine how long they are allowed to stay in Canada. Having a 5 year TRV does not mean they can stay in Canada for 5 years. The validity on the TRV only determines for how long they are allowed to enter Canada as tourist. Remaining in Canada is a completely different matter. These are important details to understand. Every once in a while we see people here who don't understand the difference and as a result, their kids have ended up in Canada without status.

Suggest you read through the following link in detail:

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1452

WandaWits

Mar 5, 2021
The validity of the visa/TRV they hold does not determine how long they are allowed to stay in Canada. Having a 5 year TRV does not mean they can stay in Canada for 5 years. The validity on the TRV only determines for how long they are allowed to enter Canada as tourist. Remaining in Canada is a completely different matter. These are important details to understand. Every once in a while we see people here who don't understand the difference and as a result, their kids have ended up in Canada without status.

Suggest you read through the following link in detail:

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1452

Oh ok thanks for clearing that up. So the immigration officer at the border will be the one to issue and decide as to how long they can stay here.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Oh ok thanks for clearing that up. So how would I know as to how long they can stay here, since a visit visa is only good for 6 months? It's not written in the Authorization to Travel. Do I apply them or it will be provided by the immigration officer at the airport?
If their passports are simply stamped, they've been allowed in for six months. If it's a different amount of time, the CBSA officer will indicate this in the passport along with the stamp.

WandaWits

Mar 5, 2021

So my husband's request to travel in August was refused. The second choice is to let them travel unaccompanied, but I'm a bit hesitant because of the situation now. :( My option is for me to travel out of Canada to get the kids and bring them here. Since I only arrived here in May, do you think there will be any problem, or the immigration officer might question me when I come back?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
So my husband's request to travel in August was refused. The second choice is to let them travel unaccompanied, but I'm a bit hesitant because of the situation now. :( My option is for me to travel out of Canada to get the kids and bring them here. Since I only arrived here in May, do you think there will be any problem, or the immigration officer might question me when I come back?
See the news regarding September 7th. Canada is opening back up to vaccinated travelers. So if your spouse has a valid TRV, he can travel then.

WandaWits

Mar 5, 2021
See the news regarding September 7th. Canada is opening back up to vaccinated travelers. So if your spouse has a valid TRV, he can travel then.
Yup, I know that but he cannot travel on the 2nd week of Sept. onwards due to some projects at work. :(

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yup, I know that but he cannot travel on the 2nd week of Sept. onwards due to some projects at work. :(
In that case you know what your options are and it's a matter of picking the one you think will work best.

Reactions: WandaWits