+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying to Study Permit after being nominated under OINP Master Stream

TJK0110

Mar 22, 2023
Hi! I have a question regarding the process of applying for a study permit and starting a PhD program after receiving a nomination from Ontario's Master Stream. Currently, I hold a PGWP and am not enrolled as a student. My plan is to apply for the Master Stream provincial nomination. After being nominated, while waiting for PR approval, I intend to apply for the study permit and commence the PhD program.

My main query revolves around whether I can pursue the PhD program while awaiting the PR approval, or if the province would revoke the nomination since I applied under the Master Stream. Additionally, if my PGWP remains valid after my study permit is issued, would I still be eligible to work full-time while studying? Or does obtaining the study permit invalidate the PGWP?

Thank you!

Note: My question arises from the points presented on the official page:

"You don’t qualify if you are enrolled as a student when you are applying, unless:
  • it is for the purpose of meeting the requirements to be licensed in a regulated occupation in Ontario
  • you are also working full-time in Ontario"
My question is whether this condition applies only during the application for provincial nomination, or if it remains valid even after receiving the nomination. In other words, am I allowed to be enrolled as a student after receiving the nomination, or do I need to wait until after my PR is approved?

Chasechs

Sep 11, 2019
As a PNP candidate you must inform the provincial office of all changes in status. This means that after receiving the nomination you must inform them when the study permit is issued (safer to ask before you apply). The office will make the decision on whether those 2 clause you mentioned applies as you were not studying at the time of application. But it would reflect negatively on your intent.

Other concerns, NO your PGWP will not be canceled or invalid once the study permit is approved. You can hold both at the same time. However, remember that you can only get one PGWP so you can not apply for another after the PhD. Additionally, I find it hard to believe that you will continue to work full time off-campus while you are a PhD student. Unless you are paying this high international student tuition fee out of pocket, your PhD program funding package would require your full attention on campus even during your course work stage.

So you need to think long and hard about starting this PhD program. There is no PR benefit to jumping into a PhD program when you completed a Master degree. In fact there are more negatives associated with it.