+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying SOWP while the primary applicant (W1-worker visa holder) has not travel to Canada yet and doesn't have 'work permit' letter

Matheswaran

Jun 4, 2018
Hi,

My scenario is, my wife has got her W1-worker visa stamped to her passport (valid till Feb '22) and I've got V1-visitor visa stamped to my passport (valid till Feb '22). Because of Corona outbreak, her travel is delayed for 2 months. In the meantime, can I apply for Spousal Open Work Permit and get it?

I've read in few forums that along with her visa, I should be uploading her work permit as well that she receives at the port of entry when she travels to cananda. And, since she's in India, and doesn't have this 'work permit', will I still be able to apply for SOWP?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hi,

My scenario is, my wife has got her W1-worker visa stamped to her passport (valid till Feb '22) and I've got V1-visitor visa stamped to my passport (valid till Feb '22). Because of Corona outbreak, her travel is delayed for 2 months. In the meantime, can I apply for Spousal Open Work Permit and get it?

I've read in few forums that along with her visa, I should be uploading her work permit as well that she receives at the port of entry when she travels to cananda. And, since she's in India, and doesn't have this 'work permit', will I still be able to apply for SOWP?
1. No, your spouse has to be working in Canada and you must submit 3 pay stubs with your application.

Matheswaran

Jun 4, 2018
Hi

1. No, your spouse has to be working in Canada and you must submit 3 pay stubs with your application.
Hi PMM, thanks for that.

My wife has LMIA exempt Closed Work Permit (Intra company transfer) visa. Some of the folks from another company applied for SOWP along with LMIA exempted visa of main applicant and unfortunately, her company doesn't have a policy to apply SOWP for dependent applicant and instead applies for TRV.

Is it mandatory in this scenario as well to have 3 pay stubs and primary applicant working in Canada during this SOWP application?

jaka

Star Member
Oct 12, 2021
Hi Matheswaran,
I am in similar situation please share your experience on what did you do ?