+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for WP at Buffalo...holding TRV...how long is processing of WP

Jaminiko

Mar 26, 2012
Hi i just want to know if there is anybody out there who is in the same situation as I am. I came to Canada on a TRV and was hired and sponsored by a company with an LMO. I already sent my LMO, contract and application for work permit and other documents (execept passport/police clearnce and medical as it mentions in the cic webpages that these would be asked from us in due time)to Buffalo through Fort Erie(postal service). It arrived Fort Erie last March 9, 2012. BTW, i have multiple entry visa to the US. When do you think will i be able to have a reply to my application for a work permit? Thank you!

Jaminiko

Mar 26, 2012
Jaminiko said:
Hi i just want to know if there is anybody out there who is in the same situation as I am. I came to Canada on a TRV and was hired and sponsored by a company with an LMO. I already sent my LMO, contract and application for work permit and other documents (execept passport/police clearnce and medical as it mentions in the cic webpages that these would be asked from us in due time)to Buffalo through Fort Erie(postal service). It arrived Fort Erie last March 9, 2012. BTW, i have multiple entry visa to the US. When do you think will i be able to have a reply to my application for a work permit? Thank you!

wideopenspaces

Star Member
Jul 20, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Work permit processing times:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/temp/workers.asp

Looks like about 2 months for Buffalo.

Jaminiko

Mar 26, 2012
Thank you wideopenspaces for your reply...

Can you please advise me about the following...greatly appreciate your inputs...
1. Will i be given a letter from the consulate in Buffalo that the have accepted my application....like an AOR? Or i will just get a reply from them either confirming a grant of a WP or a denial of a WP? What about if am called for an interview.
2. Would it be best for me to just return home to the Philippines and wait for any advisory re my WP, and so i would not have to extend my stay here which is expiring by June30?
3. have you ever come across anyone with the same situation as mine and getting an approved WP?

Lastly, i salute your you for taking time out to answer the queries being sent to this post. You may not realize what a significant act of kindness you are doing for your fellowmen. May God bless you and may your tribe increase! Thank you!

wideopenspaces

Star Member
Jul 20, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sorry, I don't know the answer to any of your other questions. Hopefully someone else will reply.

gagan d

Star Member
Nov 12, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
cpp
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-11-2013
AOR Received.
16-12-2013
Med's Request
16-05-2014
Passport Req..
23-10-2014
i think u need to send the passport with your application..

Jaminiko

Mar 26, 2012
I read throught the procedure and it said that you nly send your passport if you do not have a TRV...plus i cjecked this out with someone who has undergone the smae situation as i have...last July and she informed me that i only need to send photocopy of my passport...so what i did was to send fotocopies of all pages of my passport and labeled/tagged the pages with my TRV, my US visa and my arrival entries...she also told me that they will ask for my police clearance and send me a medical form if i need to submit these...

Gagan, have do you know of anybody who sent their passports with their work permit application...and did they have a TRV already?

Appreciate your advise....many thanks!

ragluf

Champion Member
Feb 15, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. As you were in Canada already - you could have applied via the online application system (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/e-services/work.asp)
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who-eligible.asp#inside
I see that based on docs you mentioned here - you were eligible for the online application. The links at the end of the page if you click on the link above lead you to the link to the online application.
Now to answer your question there will be no notification of acceptance like an AOR. The VO will contact you on the next steps (like getting a medical examination etc.) required.
2. You may have a problem if you return to the Philippines as the address in your WP application may be that of your temporary residence in Canada. Please check that. If that is the case, your file may need to be transferred to CEM (Canada Embassy Manila) from Buffalo as then since you have returned to the PH, the VO serving the Philippines is CEM. I suggest you contact the CIC hotline for clarification.
Note this : http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend-stay.asp - check this link - typically work permit applications are applied for before coming into Canada.
You have an option of renewing your TRV if you opt to remain in Canada to wait for the results of your WP. Please note the processing times to guide you on the period of waiting for a WP and deciding if you want to renew your TRV. If you want to remain here in Canada to wait for the results of the WP application, and extend your Visitor Record (this allows you to remain in Canada but not re-enter), note that while waiting for the extension, you have 'implied status'. See the link I sent for more information.
3. Have not heard a lot of cases in which the change of conditions from Visitor to Worker happened without the need for the applicant to exit Canada. Most often, they needed to exit and wait for the WP. There are cases wherein you can apply for the WP upon entry - but you don't fall under the category of visa exempt (PH is not visa exempt) .
See the end of this link: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who-eligible.asp#inside - the section states: Eligibility to apply as you enter Canada

You can apply for a work permit as you enter Canada, but only if you meet the following requirements:

you are temporary resident visa exempt and
your job does not need a labour market opinion from HRSDC (some exceptions apply) or
you hold a labour market opinion from HRSDC.

Note - you need to satisfy the first condition and either of the next two conditions.
Hope this helps

Jaminiko

Mar 26, 2012
Dear Ragluf,

Thank you very very very much for your very detailed explanation to my queries.

Sorry for asking too many questions...so in my case since i have already submitted
My application to Buffalo, i cannot retrieve this and submit another application through
Email, am i correct?

Also, i might as well just wait for whatever outcome of my application...

Again, thank you very much for uour help and more power to you! God bless you and your famly!

ragluf

Champion Member
Feb 15, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You have already sent in the paper application - to withdraw it would be counter-productive.

gagan d

Star Member
Nov 12, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
cpp
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-11-2013
AOR Received.
16-12-2013
Med's Request
16-05-2014
Passport Req..
23-10-2014
u can't apply inside the canada if u hold a trv..my wife applied for the initial study permit from buffalo..she submitted the passport in original to cic buffalo..she was also a vistor in canada

Jaminiko

Mar 26, 2012
Thanks for your reply Gagan...guess i will just have to wait for them to advise me when to send myoriginal passport...hopefully and God willing, i get a positive response.
Thanks again!