+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for PR renewal if husband doesn't meet residency obligations

skippy1

Apr 4, 2024
Hi all, hoping someone can help me. I'm Canadian and my husband has PR - the card expires in Feb 2025. We have only been back to Canada for short visits, so he won't meet the residency obligations, but we're married. I understand that he has to physically be in Canada to complete the renewal application, but can he leave after submitting the application and have the card sent to him? Has anyone experienced this, and if so did you have to be physically present in Canada to receive the new card? There were some mentions of this on this forum, so it would be great to hear from someone with a similar experience. Thanks all!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi all, hoping someone can help me. I'm Canadian and my husband has PR - the card expires in Feb 2025. We have only been back to Canada for short visits, so he won't meet the residency obligations, but we're married. I understand that he has to physically be in Canada to complete the renewal application, but can he leave after submitting the application and have the card sent to him? Has anyone experienced this, and if so did you have to be physically present in Canada to receive the new card? There were some mentions of this on this forum, so it would be great to hear from someone with a similar experience. Thanks all!
It's possible that he can count the days abroad towards his R.O. if he was accompanying you. Sometimes, IRCC uses a `who followed whom' formula to make sure that the Canadian spouse did not follow their PR spouse or partner to live abroad.

Many people have done exactly what you are asking. Apply for the PR Card renewal from Canada, then leave and have their card couriered to them by whoever receives the card. Having said that, there have also been people that have been asked to pick up the card in person. No idea how IRCC determines who has to appear.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi all, hoping someone can help me. I'm Canadian and my husband has PR - the card expires in Feb 2025.
When did he become a PR? Did he reside in Canada at all? Did you sponsor him from abroad / were you living in Canada when you sponsored?