+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for Post-Graduate Work Permit from outside Canada

khodaei

Jul 16, 2021
Hi everyone,

I was a transfer international student in Alberta from Jan 2019 to September 2020. Due to the pandemic and remote learning, I decided to leave Canada and return home to Iran and finish my last two semesters here. I graduated this past June, and I am preparing the documents to apply for the PGWP online. I am a bit confused by the different criteria and the window of application. I know we have 180 days following the finishing of our studies to apply for the PGWP, but the online guides also say we need a valid study permit when applying and that study permits expire 90 days following graduation regardless of their original expiry date. What does this mean exactly? Does the 180 days essentially mean nothing because the real window is the 90 days? Do I have to renew my study permit from outside Canada if I want to apply after the initial 90 days?

I was also linked to a document outlining specific requirements for Iranian work permit applicants through this page, and it mentions needing documents to support ties to my country as proof of return, evidence of no past criminal record, letters from my previous employer, among other things that I originally submitted when applying for my study permit before coming to Canada. Other friends who have applied for the PGWP have mentioned no such requirements, so I am wondering if these are required only for regular work permits and not the PGWP? Will not providing these documents risk a rejection of my PGWP? Any help with these questions will be very much appreciated.