+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for passport 2 business days wait, question

axel_sil

Newbie
Jul 26, 2012
5
0
Quick question:

I am taking the Oath at the Citizenship ceremony on 19th Sept 2012 (WED). The new rule is that I have to wait 2 business days before applying for passport. Does this mean that the earliest I can apply is:

- 21st Sept (FRI)

or

- 24th Sept (MON)

Searched everything, this forum and online, but no one seems to define what exactly is meant by 2 business days. Thank you immensely for any feedback!
 
 

paraug99

Star Member
Jun 27, 2012
62
0
axel_sil said:
Quick question:

I am taking the Oath at the Citizenship ceremony on 19th Sept 2012 (WED). The new rule is that I have to wait 2 business days before applying for passport. Does this mean that the earliest I can apply is:

- 21st Sept (FRI)

or

- 24th Sept (MON)

Searched everything, this forum and online, but no one seems to define what exactly is meant by 2 business days. Thank you immensely for any feedback!
Hi,
Congratulations on the Citizenship.
I'm in a similar situation. I'll be attending the ceremony on Sept 6, 2012 and applying for the passport on Sept 11, 2012 (Considering 2 business days, Friday and Monday and the weekend).
The CIC website states that one should wait for at least 2 business days AFTER their ceremony. Hence, i would say Monday, Sept 24, 2012.
 

axel_sil

Newbie
Jul 26, 2012
5
0
Thank you for the answer! Congratulations to you too.

Now, what are the most current requirements for documents to bring to the ceremony?

Do I really need to bring all passports again as the letter states? (I thought this is for exam only). Anyone attended recently, how long it takes, what to expect, etc... ?
 

paraug99

Star Member
Jun 27, 2012
62
0
I'm bringing my PR card, Old passport with record of landing, drivers license, health card and SIN card along with the letter to the ceremony.
i'm hoping that would suffice the requirements.
 

nwtspam

Star Member
Apr 20, 2012
62
0
Ask the CIC officer at your ceremony. Some of the branches do not have this 2 business days delay.
 
 

axel_sil

Newbie
Jul 26, 2012
5
0
nwtspam said:
Ask the CIC officer at your ceremony. Some of the branches do not have this 2 business days delay.
Um.. are you sure about this? Because I thought this is a Passport Canada requirement, not CIC?

paraug99 said:
I'm bringing my PR card, Old passport with record of landing, drivers license, health card and SIN card along with the letter to the ceremony.
i'm hoping that would suffice the requirements.
So, how was your ceremony today? Must be a very joyful day? 8)
 

paraug99

Star Member
Jun 27, 2012
62
0
Oh yes it was! cant wait to get my passport! :D
and yeah, they just asked for the letter and the PRC
goodluck axel
 

p56208

Newbie
May 30, 2012
8
1
FYI, I had my oath ceremony on Sept. 6th and today (Sept. 8th) i applied for passport and my application got accepted without any problem :).
 
  • Like
Reactions: MarceauBletard
 

MarceauBletard

Hero Member
Aug 12, 2016
387
119
121
Montréal, Québec
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Montréal, Québec
LANDED..........
18-05-2011 WHP
FYI, I had my oath ceremony on Sept. 6th and today (Sept. 8th) i applied for passport and my application got accepted without any problem :).
Thanks dude. I have my ceremony on May 2nd so I'll take a day off on May 4th to go apply for my passport then :D
 

uncomfortable

Hero Member
May 11, 2017
234
96
Yes, the OP is quite old and things may have changed.
But does anyone know if this 2-day delay is written anywhere in the official literature by IRCC? Because I have heard many stories, but I have never seen any official document stating that.

Especially because I can't get over one fact: if you have a Citizenship Certificate, then you are a citizen - so what does it matter that the systems have not been updated at Passport Canada? You should be allowed to file your application there and then, and they can wait until their systems update to process the application.

On the other hand, if you have to be in the system to apply, and the system contains only citizens, why do you need a certificate in the first place? Your presence in the system should be enough.
 

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
1,236
371
They probably verify it against the IRCC database and IRCC can take up to two days to update it after the oath ceremony.