+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for OWP - US based job

elallen

Mar 18, 2024
I have a pending PR through spousal sponsorship and just received my AOR. I'm American, and my spouse is Canadian, and I've applied inland from Quebec (we live in Montreal). I have a US based job, working for an American company, and all of my work is on development projects in Africa. My company does not have any projects in Canada (it's international development work and US domestic research) but they do have legal registration in Canada as they've hired a few Canadian employees (although not in Quebec). They are ok with me working remotely from Canada and I think the idea would be to switch my contract to their local registration (so I'd be paid in CAD + pay local taxes). They are currently doing research on Quebec labour laws etc as I know that is more complicated. My question is - now that I have the AOR, can I go ahead and apply for the OWP? I have filled out the application but wasn't sure if I needed to submit the offer from my company at the same time (it might be a few weeks before I get this as it needs to go through their legal council as well). Also, does anyone have any advice for what to do with US based retirement accounts etc? My company has a really nice 401k match that I don't think I will qualify for anymore, so trying to figure out my options there. Thank you so much for any advice!

Edmegbc

Star Member
Oct 11, 2023
Yes you can apply for OWP and no as its open you do not submit any offers. You are free to choose employer once granted.
Cannot help with other questions - probably beyond the scope of this forum.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I have a pending PR through spousal sponsorship and just received my AOR. I'm American, and my spouse is Canadian, and I've applied inland from Quebec (we live in Montreal). I have a US based job, working for an American company, and all of my work is on development projects in Africa. My company does not have any projects in Canada (it's international development work and US domestic research) but they do have legal registration in Canada as they've hired a few Canadian employees (although not in Quebec). They are ok with me working remotely from Canada and I think the idea would be to switch my contract to their local registration (so I'd be paid in CAD + pay local taxes). They are currently doing research on Quebec labour laws etc as I know that is more complicated. My question is - now that I have the AOR, can I go ahead and apply for the OWP? I have filled out the application but wasn't sure if I needed to submit the offer from my company at the same time (it might be a few weeks before I get this as it needs to go through their legal council as well). Also, does anyone have any advice for what to do with US based retirement accounts etc? My company has a really nice 401k match that I don't think I will qualify for anymore, so trying to figure out my options there. Thank you so much for any advice!
Since you are an American, you maybe able to move your 401k somewhere. Check with HR, they should know where you can park your 401k. (if your employment is moved from US to Canada, you no longer will be able to get any American employee benefit (e.g. 401k matching) but you may be able to get Canadian benefit. Again, check with HR, it's their job.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
https://ca.rbcwealthmanagement.com/documents/634020/2289317/The+Navigator+-+Taxation+of+Canadian+Registered+Savings+Plans+for+U.S.+Persons.pdf/302aa550-0ba8-4cb3-b842-c5c407a6943d#:~:text=In certain circumstances, U.S. gift,savings plan to a beneficiary.