+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for CEC with a Canadian Common-law partner

Sep 15, 2022
Hi there,

I'm running into a situation where I have listed my common-law partner (who is Canadian) and we are being asked for a national identity document for her.
She has a birth certificate (which does not have an expiry date) and a driver's license (which has expired).
Obviously the form does not validate without an expiry date available so is the best course of action a random date followed by a clear explanation in a Letter of Explanation?

Of course, it does recognise that she is Canadian , and my profile clearly shows that I am not claiming any points based on relatives, so if the document checklist goes on to ask me for documents related to those, do I again use a letter of explanation to clarify the issue?

As long as I declare a common-law partner in the application process ( and I'm declaring her because it is true information ) , we keep being asked for her personal history and documentation. Is this an issue anyone around these forums has run into? Could you tell me more about how you addressed it or what advice you received?

Last edited: