+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for Canada study permit while studying in UK

Keanu

Mar 1, 2021
Hello

I would appreciate it if someone could help me.

I am an international student currently studying in the UK with a PhD scholarship. I am in my first year of study. I have also an acceptance from a very good university in Canada and want to change my university. Can I apply for a Canadian study permit while I am studying in the UK?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello

I am an international student currently studying in the UK with a PhD scholarship. I am in my first year of study. I have also an acceptance from a very good university in Canada and want to change my university. Can I apply for a Canadian study permit while I am studying in the UK?
Yes

PAINKILLER28

Jan 24, 2018
Hello

Yes you can,but why would you do it? If you are applying from UK with a student status instead of your home country where you are a citizen, you have a bigger chance of getting a refusal.

Keanu

Mar 1, 2021
Yes you can,but why would you do it? If you are applying from UK with a student status instead of your home country where you are a citizen, you have a bigger chance of getting a refusal.
The university that I decided to go has a very high ranking. I have a scholarship from them either. Even if I have a scholarship from Canada, still you think there is a significant chance of refusal?

PAINKILLER28

Jan 24, 2018
The university that I decided to go has a very high ranking. I have a scholarship from them either. Even if I have a scholarship from Canada, still you think there is a significant chance of refusal?
I wouldn't say it's a significant higher chance of refusal, I just meant higher. Cos IRCC would consider that if you are refused, what's the possibility of you maintaining your legal status in the country of applying, whereas when you apply from your home country you don't have that problem.
If you can make a convincing study plan, then you'll have a higher chance of being granted a study permit of Canada.

Keanu

Mar 1, 2021
I wouldn't say it's a significant higher chance of refusal, I just meant higher. Cos IRCC would consider that if you are refused, what's the possibility of you maintaining your legal status in the country of applying, whereas when you apply from your home country you don't have that problem.
If you can make a convincing study plan, then you'll have a higher chance of being granted a study permit of Canada.
Thank you.

Would my current university be informed I am applying for a study permit in Canada? or would it affect my current immigration status in the UK?

PAINKILLER28

Jan 24, 2018
Thank you.

Would my current university be informed I am applying for a study permit in Canada? or would it affect my current immigration status in the UK?
No, IRCC will not share your application with your current institute of study, but they might cross-check some information about your application with the UK. However, bear in mind, this is the UK, not the US where Canada is almost definitely will cross-check your visa information if you had one.

Keanu

Mar 1, 2021
No, IRCC will not share your application with your current institute of study, but they might cross-check some information about your application with the UK. However, bear in mind, this is the UK, not the US where Canada is almost definitely will cross-check your visa information if you had one.
Thank you for your answers

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
PhDs are viewed very differently than college courses. With a PhD acceptance your chances of approval are pretty high. You will have to explain why you want to switch schools and why you will finish the Canadian program.

Keanu

Mar 1, 2021
PhDs are viewed very differently than college courses. With a PhD acceptance your chances of approval are pretty high. You will have to explain why you want to switch schools and why you will finish the Canadian program.
Thank you for your answer. The university in canada that gave me the acceptance doesn't know I am a student currently. Should I tell them? If I don't tell them, will they discover it later on? I am really feeling bad now. I don't want to do anything that will be considered as dishonesty in the future.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for your answer. The university in canada that gave me the acceptance doesn't know I am a student currently. Should I tell them? If I don't tell them, will they discover it later on? I am really feeling bad now. I don't want to do anything that will be considered as dishonesty in the future.
You don’t need to tell the school but you do need to tell immigration.