+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for AIPP as a refugee claimant

Billbilly

Jul 23, 2019
Hi Folks,
I have a job offer (working right now) from a designated employer in NB while I am waiting for my IRB interview, I want to ask about the next step if I get endorsed by NB government, when Will I have to withdraw my refugee claim? And if I do so, will I be out-of-status or that endorsement can save me from becoming out of status situation ?
And if refugee claim is withdrawn, will deportation orders push me out of Canada?
Please advise whether I should proceed to withdraw or is it axing my own feet?

And one more thing, if my wife applied for AIPP who is not in Canada as main applicant, where will I fit in as her dependent if she makes it to arrive in Canada ?

A prompt response will highly be appreciated

Thanks and Regards!!!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi Folks,
I have a job offer (working right now) from a designated employer in NB while I am waiting for my IRB interview, I want to ask about the next step if I get endorsed by NB government, when Will I have to withdraw my refugee claim? And if I do so, will I be out-of-status or that endorsement can save me from becoming out of status situation ?
And if refugee claim is withdrawn, will deportation orders push me out of Canada?
Please advise whether I should proceed to withdraw or is it axing my own feet?

And one more thing, if my wife applied for AIPP who is not in Canada as main applicant, where will I fit in as her dependent if she makes it to arrive in Canada ?

A prompt response will highly be appreciated

Thanks and Regards!!!
To the best of my knowledge you cannot apply for any economic immigration from within Canada. It is a program requirement that a person have valid status in Canada to apply for PR through an economic stream (e.g. EE, PNP, etc.) and you do not meet this requirement as a refugee.

You will be out of status if you withdraw your refugee claim. So same problem. You won't qualify to apply. The endorsement doesn't give you status in Canada.

Your wife can apply as the primary applicant and include you as a dependent. Note that PNP stream processing seems to be taking a while these days. I believe it's well over a year for most programs - however you'll be able to get the most up to date information in the PNP section of the forum.

Reactions: canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Unfortunately not an option because you don’t have status. The best option is always to apply for economic immigration over asylum if you qualify. Asylum applications limit you and a negative asylum result has long lasting implications throughout the world.

Billbilly

Jul 23, 2019
To the best of my knowledge you cannot apply for any economic immigration from within Canada. It is a program requirement that a person have valid status in Canada to apply for PR through an economic stream (e.g. EE, PNP, etc.) and you do not meet this requirement as a refugee.

You will be out of status if you withdraw your refugee claim. So same problem. You won't qualify to apply. The endorsement doesn't give you status in Canada.

Your wife can apply as the primary applicant and include you as a dependent. Note that PNP stream processing seems to be taking a while these days. I believe it's well over a year for most programs - however you'll be able to get the most up to date information in the PNP section of the forum.
Thank you very much!!!

Billbilly

Jul 23, 2019
Unfortunately not an option because you don’t have status. The best option is always to apply for economic immigration over asylum if you qualify. Asylum applications limit you and a negative asylum result has long lasting implications throughout the world.
Thank you !!!

B O

Apr 23, 2020
The below is what i got from NL Immigration office. I'm a claimant too and in NL now.

Good Day,

If you are a refugee claimant in Canada and have a pending application to remain in Canada (this includes individuals who have filed for an appeal), you are eligible to apply to our immigration programs provided you meet the eligibility criteria.

One main requirement of both the Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) and the Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program (AIPP) is that you have a full-time offer of employment from a Newfoundland and Labrador employer. For current vacant job postings in Newfoundland and Labrador visit:
https://www.gov.nl.ca/labourmarketinformation/jobs-careers/ for job posting details which will give you access to email and telephone contacts for many employers in Newfoundland and Labrador.

zak86

Nov 13, 2019
as per the NL gov website, a pending case asylum seeker can apply if they have a valid job full time. and they are willing to live there and I heard they are processing applications within 30 business days as well.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
as per the NL gov website, a pending case asylum seeker can apply if they have a valid job full time. and they are willing to live there and I heard they are processing applications within 30 business days as well.
Can you please provide the link? This states you need a job offer and

• If you are in Canada, one main requirement of both the Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) and the Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program (AIPP) is that you have a valid temporary resident status in Canada. The open work permit granted to you while you await the result of your refugee claim does not give the required temporary status that is required for you to be able to apply for PNP OR AIPP from within Canada. Thus, you must apply for PNP or AIPP from outside Canada.

https://www.gov.nl.ca/immigration/immigrating-to-newfoundland-and-labrador/provincial-nominee-program/applicants/skilled-worker/

Reactions: scylla

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Unless you have very rare in demand skills you are unlikely to get 30 day processing. Given the economy it may a.so be tough to get approved for AIPP. The goal is always to employ those with status in Canada already.

zak86

Nov 13, 2019
Can you please provide the link? This states you need a job offer and

• If you are in Canada, one main requirement of both the Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) and the Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program (AIPP) is that you have a valid temporary resident status in Canada. The open work permit granted to you while you await the result of your refugee claim does not give the required temporary status that is required for you to be able to apply for PNP OR AIPP from within Canada. Thus, you must apply for PNP or AIPP from outside Canada.

https://www.gov.nl.ca/immigration/immigrating-to-newfoundland-and-labrador/provincial-nominee-program/applicants/skilled-worker/
I think this paragraph is added recently as it wasn't there and due to that many refugees were heading to NL so I think that's a reason they added details, before that there was no explanation and I think everyone was thinking that the claimant can apply and stay there lol many went there, wondering what they will now when they clearly stated :)