+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for a Visitor Visa with PR App in Progess?

amethystfaire

Jan 12, 2011
Texas
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-08-2010
Nomination.....
10-09-2010
AOR Received.
22-09-2010
File Transfer...
12-09-2010
Med's Request
Not Meds, but CSQ issued: 01-10-2010
Med's Done....
10-5-2010
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-05-2011
LANDED..........
04-05-2011
I tried to use the search feature here but I kept getting posts that had nothing to do with the topic from 2007, so I'm asking here: Can you successfully apply for a (3-6 month) visitor visa while you have a PR application in progress?

I know you can do regular visits and whatnot, but will they decline the application for a visa? I also know that you need to present proof that you have an application in progress, but will they be more likely to decline a visitor visa because of that? I'd like to actually stay with my hubby for a little bit, since it's too expensive for me to travel from Texas to Montreal on any sort of a regular basis and I hate that our lives are being wasted apart. :( It wouldn't be a final move at this point, but I want to stay with him for more than just a couple weeks to a month.

We're hopefully halfway through the PR process, and if I could stay with him for 3-6 months (even if I have to reapply for an extension during that time) it'd be worth it.

Has anyone done this and have any advice?

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Re: Applying for a Visitor Visa with PR App in Process?

amethystfaire said:
I tried to use the search feature here but I kept getting posts that had nothing to do with the topic from 2007, so I'm asking here: Can you successfully apply for a (3-6 month) visitor visa while you have a PR application in progress?

I know you can do regular visits and whatnot, but will they decline the application for a visa? I also know that you need to present proof that you have an application in progress, but will they be more likely to decline a visitor visa because of that? I'd like to actually stay with my hubby for a little bit, since it's too expensive for me to travel from Texas to Montreal on any sort of a regular basis and I hate that our lives are being wasted apart. It wouldn't be a final move at this point, but I want to stay with him for more than just a couple weeks to a month. :(

We're hopefully halfway through the PR process, and if I could stay with him for 3-6 months (even if I have to reapply for an extension during that time) it'd be worth it.

Has anyone done this and have any advice?
It seems you are an American citizen so you are visa exempt and don't need one to enter Canada. If you have proof of your application being in process at the POE when you enter, it is likely they will allow you entry as a visitor although they may limit the amount of time. But you can apply for an extension through Vegreville after you enter.

amethystfaire

Jan 12, 2011
Texas
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-08-2010
Nomination.....
10-09-2010
AOR Received.
22-09-2010
File Transfer...
12-09-2010
Med's Request
Med's Done....
10-5-2010
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-05-2011
LANDED..........
04-05-2011
Yes, I'm a US citizen. I know I can go stay for short periods, but I was under the impression that staying 2+ months at a time without a visa was a serious no-no. I have no desire to jeopardize my PR application or future in Canada, but is there a set limit you can stay without a visa?

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
amethystfaire said:
Yes, I'm a US citizen. I know I can go stay for short periods, but I was under the impression that staying 2+ months at a time without a visa was a serious no-no. I have no desire to jeopardize my PR application or future in Canada, but is there a set limit you can stay without a visa?
Normally a maximum of 6 months.
But, the IO is the one who decides, not you.

j2m

Star Member
Sep 15, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
BUFFALO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
OCT 14 2009
Doc's Request.
JAN 10 2010
AOR Received.
NOV 18 2009
File Transfer...
NOV 11 2009
Med's Request
NOV 20 2009
Med's Done....
OCT 30 2009
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
FEB 16 2011
VISA ISSUED...
FEB 17, 2011
LANDED..........
FEB 17, 2011
If you are a US citizen, the best bet is to enter Canada and tell the IO that you are wanting to stay in Canada while your PR Application is being processed. (this is what I did). The IO will determine how long you can stay. When I did this the IO gave me a 1 year visitor record. The IO asked how long I wanted to stay, I told her that I wanted to stay until my application was processed. Whether you get 1 year or 1 month, after you enter Canada you can file for an extension, for your visitor record. While your extension is being processed you will have "implied status" and can stay in Canada, but once you leave Canada you forfeit your implied status.

QCSunshine

Aug 25, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If/when you cross the border to go "visit" your husband in Canada, I would suggest you take your documentation with you that shows you have a PR app in process. The receipt that shows payment, confirmation of delivery, a copy of an AOR letter (if you got one) or other communication with CIC and/or Buffalo, and perhaps a copy of your whole application, including a copy of your marriage certificate.

amethystfaire

Jan 12, 2011
Texas
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-08-2010
Nomination.....
10-09-2010
AOR Received.
22-09-2010
File Transfer...
12-09-2010
Med's Request
Med's Done....
10-5-2010
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-05-2011
LANDED..........
04-05-2011
Hm, thank you very much guys. I will look into it further and try to find when the best time would be to go up. I wouldn't mind the wait as much if I got to actually live my life with my hubby. I greatly appreciate the feedback, and hope that when I get to it, I get a nice, understanding IO, lol. I'll bring all the necessary documents stating that I have a PR in progress and that if I have to, I have intent to return to the US.

Again, thank you very much.

And grats on the recent landing j2m. :)