+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Apply for work permit under intracompany transfer

Spugna

Mar 2, 2012
Hi everyone!

I need to know on your experiences if an intracompany transfer could be possible. My husband has been working as automotive service technician for 12 years now after finishing his 4 years aprentiship. He is working as automotive service technician for Volkswagen Group (VW, audi and Skoda) in Switzerland since 2005. He has been taking factory training (for mechanical, electonical, new tester, comfort news, etc.) since then. Training and experience allowed him to know every cm2 of every light and commercial vehicle (machanically and electronically), every typical defect on every model and the solution for it. To train an employee is very expensive for the company and needs a lot of time but is obligatory. Would this be enough to be seen as a specialized knowledge?
What documents have to be submitted with the work permit application? What document do we have to ask to the current and to the new employer? Do they all have to be in English?

Thank you in advance for every information you could provide.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Spugna said:
Hi everyone!

I need to know on your experiences if an intracompany transfer could be possible. My husband has been working as automotive service technician for 12 years now after finishing his 4 years aprentiship. He is working as automotive service technician for Volkswagen Group (VW, audi and Skoda) in Switzerland since 2005. He has been taking factory training (for mechanical, electonical, new tester, comfort news, etc.) since then. Training and experience allowed him to know every cm2 of every light and commercial vehicle (machanically and electronically), every typical defect on every model and the solution for it. To train an employee is very expensive for the company and needs a lot of time but is obligatory. Would this be enough to be seen as a specialized knowledge?
What documents have to be submitted with the work permit application? What document do we have to ask to the current and to the new employer? Do they all have to be in English?

Thank you in advance for every information you could provide.
1. Nope, not specialized knowledge, every service technician/mechanic has the same training.
2. To get a work permit your spouse's prospective employer would have to advertise the job for 2 weeks on the job bank (which has been down for 2 weeks) and then demonstrate to HRSDC why the Canadians/PRs are not qualified for the position. The wages have to better than the average for the local area. Depending on the province, the approval/refusal could take between 8-12 weeks.
3. If he gets an approved LMO and is from a visitor visa exempt country, he can apply for his work permit on entry to Canada with a copy of the LMO.

Read the following on specialized knowledge

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2011/ob316.asp