+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Apply for PR with spouse laste name different on passport and marriage certificate

avinash4551

Jun 18, 2019
So, here is my question. My wife and I are planning to immigrate to Canada and we are trying to gather all the documents required for the Express entry application. We ran in to a problem when we saw that our marriage certificate has my wife last name changed to my last name and all of her docuements including passports has different last name which is hers. So, the question is, will there be any issues if we use the same marriage certificate and her documents while applying for Canada PR.

Your response is much appreciated.

Thanks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
So, here is my question. My wife and I are planning to immigrate to Canada and we are trying to gather all the documents required for the Express entry application. We ran in to a problem when we saw that our marriage certificate has my wife last name changed to my last name and all of her docuements including passports has different last name which is hers. So, the question is, will there be any issues if we use the same marriage certificate and her documents while applying for Canada PR.

Thanks
No issue. She must use the name in her passport in the PR app.

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
No problem. Use name in passport for the application. Mention the other name in the 'other names used' section if applicable. Moreover, explain it in the letter of explanation.

tanisha_vohra

Sep 7, 2020
Hi..
we too faced the same problem while verifying the docs. My name on the passport is Tanisha Vohra but on marriage certificate is "Tanisha Vohra Now Tanisha Arora".

So, the question is can i use the same marriage certificate and passport for applying the canada pr.
Please reply in advance.
Thanks

Itsgps

Oct 25, 2020

Thanks
Hi Avinash, what you finally edned up doing? I am in exact same situation where in our marriage certificate my wife's last name is same as mine but in other documets she is still using her maiden name. Based on few friend's input I also got same name affidavit signed by notary. However, I am wondering if I need to do anything else to support that. Problem is that registar office in India is asking me to travel to get our marriage certificate corrected which I don't want to do in this pendamic. any input is appreciated.

All experts - pls provide your valuable thoughts.

mac_pnp

Sep 1, 2019
Hi Avinash, what you finally edned up doing? I am in exact same situation where in our marriage certificate my wife's last name is same as mine but in other documets she is still using her maiden name. Based on few friend's input I also got same name affidavit signed by notary. However, I am wondering if I need to do anything else to support that. Problem is that registar office in India is asking me to travel to get our marriage certificate corrected which I don't want to do in this pendamic. any input is appreciated.

All experts - pls provide your valuable thoughts.
Hi Itsgps, I am in the same situation as yours. My wife's surname in marriage certificate is my surname but all her other documents(passport, companies' documents etc) has her surname before marriage. Could you please tell what did you do for this situation? Did you get the surname changed on the marriage certificate or did you get any affidavit for name change or did you do something else? Please let me know it would be very helpful.

Itsgps

Oct 25, 2020
Hi Itsgps, I am in the same situation as yours. My wife's surname in marriage certificate is my surname but all her other documents(passport, companies' documents etc) has her surname before marriage. Could you please tell what did you do for this situation? Did you get the surname changed on the marriage certificate or did you get any affidavit for name change or did you do something else? Please let me know it would be very helpful.
Hi hope I am not late. In short , I didn't have any issues, in fact I received my application approved in 40 days.

However I took care of the followings-

1- Got an affidavit signed where it was mentioned that both name belong to same person and notarized by a notary. I also added all the documents presented to the notary in the affidavit as a proof a) her passport showing my name in husband section b) Birth certificate of our child showing both my wife's and my name c) leasing document which has her name and proves that she stays with me.
2-Explained it in the letter of explanation. I will find and post verbiage if you want to use the same.

That's all and it worked for me with god's grace. Let me know if you need any other info.

Reactions: Pavithra619

mac_pnp

Sep 1, 2019
Thanks Itsgps for your response. Its finally time for me to fill the PR application post ITA.

From you reply I could understand that you have summited the notary affidavit for one and same name with the supporting documents. I am also panning to do the same as getting my marriage certificate corrected is a lengthy process.
However there is one thing I am totally confused about . There is a question in personal history :
"Has this person ever used any other name?" - what was your answer to this question ?
Just some context --
Marriage certificate is the only place where my spouse surname is different. we have neither used that surname in the past nor planning to use it ever in future.

2- It would be very helpful if you can provide me the verbiage of your letter of explanation for this. -mohitmantra007@gmail.com

Itsgps

Oct 25, 2020
Hi
Thanks Itsgps for your response. Its finally time for me to fill the PR application post ITA.

From you reply I could understand that you have summited the notary affidavit for one and same name with the supporting documents. I am also panning to do the same as getting my marriage certificate corrected is a lengthy process.
However there is one thing I am totally confused about . There is a question in personal history :
"Has this person ever used any other name?" - what was your answer to this question ?
Just some context --
Marriage certificate is the only place where my spouse surname is different. we have neither used that surname in the past nor planning to use it ever in future.

2- It would be very helpful if you can provide me the verbiage of your letter of explanation for this. -mohitmantra007@gmail.com
Hi ,

1- I mentioned that she never used any other name

2-
Dear Sir / Madam,
In my marriage certificate, my wife XXX name is printed as Firstname Lastname( marriage cert name). It was done as per Hindu marriage customs, however, XXX never used the name Firstname Lastname( which is in marriage cert) and continued using her maiden name Firstname Lastname ( used currently) for anything formally or informally.
XXX has declared this in an affidavit which is attached along with the marriage certificate for your reference. Additionally, I have also attached the last pages of my and XXX’s Indian passport, where our names are listed under the spouse section.

Anjul

Mar 15, 2019
Hi ,have submitted my paper based application and have the same issue I realized later did the thing worked please. Let us know

Feb 14, 2024
Does it affect my application if I miss my second given name on my marriage certificate? My first given name, middle name and last name is there but my second given name is missing or should I say I don’t usually put it but all my documents such as passport, government ID is there