+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Apply for open work permit inside Canada, while waiting for spouse's study permit approval?

Ruby Canada

Jul 7, 2020
Hi everyone,
I am holding PGWP, my husband has open WP. Both will be expired in Aug. We have kids are in grade school in Canada. In other to maintain our status in Canada, my husband already submitted an application for a study permit in Jan to attend a program at a college. He received a letter required for biometric right before the pandemic so he cannot make it since everything is closed.
Can I apply for open WP to keep my job and extend our kid's status basing on LOA, tuition fee receipt, and other documents from my husband's application package?
Thanks

Last edited:

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
I think you will need the study permit in hand first. You may have to apply to change your status to visitor in the meantime.

Since your PGWP is expiring, are you not able to apply for PR?

Reactions: Ruby Canada

Ruby Canada

Jul 7, 2020
Thanks Primaprime. People can get study permit and spousal open WP from outside Canada at the same time, but this does not apply for inside Canada? Do you know any exception for the pandemic time? Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi everyone,
I am holding PGWP, my husband has open WP. Both will be expired in Aug. We have kids are in grade school in Canada. In other to maintain our status in Canada, my husband already submitted an application for a study permit in Jan to attend a program at a college. He received a letter required for biometric right before the pandemic so he cannot make it since everything is closed.
Can I apply for open WP to keep my job and extend our kid's status basing on LOA, tuition fee receipt, and other documents from my husband's application package?
Thanks
Unless you are LMIA exempt your employer needs to get an LMIA and you need to apply for a WP once they have the positive LMIA. That isn’t feasible in such a short period of time.

Ruby Canada

Jul 7, 2020
Following

Am in the same situation. Now am applying student permit to my wife..
@107658 good luck to your family. Hope the biometric office can open soon.
As I know, some people can apply for a study permit and work permit for a spouse from outside Canada at the same time, but inside Canada we cannot do that?

BECA RCIC

May 27, 2020
Vancouver
Category........
Other
It also depends on the SP holder's school, if it's public school then likely you are eligible for open WP as spouse of a student.