+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applied spousal sponsorship - Losing my job due to layoffs

kpd1405

Dec 13, 2022
Hi, I am a PR and I applied spousal sponsorship visa for my wife and Kid, received AOR.
Recently there have been layoffs in our company, and my last working day is Feb 28th.

How would this affect my application? Do I need to inform CIC about this change and do I need to show balance in my bank account ?

frange

May 25, 2018
Hi, I am a PR and I applied spousal sponsorship visa for my wife and Kid, received AOR.
Recently there have been layoffs in our company, and my last working day is Feb 28th.

How would this affect my application? Do I need to inform CIC about this change and do I need to show balance in my bank account ?
No impact for the moment; but you have to find another job since you need show how you will support your family (If they ask ).
No need to inform IRCC since it's not requirement for spousal category ; so get quickly another job like I said earlier.

kpd1405

Dec 13, 2022
Thanks for the reply. I came to know about my layoff today, however there were layoffs in other teams in last 2 weeks. Hoping to find a job quickly in month or two. My worry is what if I don't get job in next two months.

totalbatman

Star Member
Sep 23, 2020
Thanks for the reply. I came to know about my layoff today, however there were layoffs in other teams in last 2 weeks. Hoping to find a job quickly in month or two. My worry is what if I don't get job in next two months.
Start any fulltime job.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
As long as you can prove that you can support your family without government help you should be fine. It can be a combination of savings plus employment. Once you find a new job you should send a webform updating your information.

kpd1405

Dec 13, 2022
As long as you can prove that you can support your family without government help you should be fine. It can be a combination of savings plus employment. Once you find a new job you should send a webform updating your information.
`Thank you, will update after I get a new job.

kpd1405

Dec 13, 2022
My savings account in Canada has about 20k CAD, I send money to my wife's account. I have some there.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

IMO this is super simple and all of these additional questions are totally unnecessary.

1) You don't need to notify IRCC that you have lost your job.
2) As long as you don't go on social assistance, there won't be any issue with the sponsorship application. Employment Insurance is not social assistance. You are fine to take Employment Insurance if you qualify.

MJSPARV

Sep 17, 2020
Personally, I wouldn't be terribly worried about the impact on your sponsorship. When we applied my husband was finishing grad school and was job hunting and we didn't have any issues. We submitted a list of job applications, but that was more for the purposes of showing intent to return to Canada as he was sponsoring me while living abroad (he's a citizen).

Job hunt, keep a list of jobs in case they come and ask for more proof of how you're going to support your family, but, unless you go on social assistance*, I don't think you have much to worry about. As far as I recall, you have no obligation to tell IRCC that you lost your job/have changed your job, unless they ask. Best wishes for the job search!

* I'm 99% sure that EI does NOT count as social assistance and 99% sure that if you go on social assistance you can't sponsor, but you should double check.

Reactions: kpd1405

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My savings account in Canada has about 20k CAD, I send money to my wife's account. I have some there.
With 20k should be fine and update you file when you have a new job. It becomes more of an issue of you have minimal savings, no family who are willing to support you financially in Canada, you make minimum wage without savings, are disabled, don’t have consistent full-time work history, concern about access to employment if English/French language skills are not good, if there are young children involved so one spouse will either have to stay home or family will have to pay for childcare, etc. concern about spouses being able to support their families and receiving procedural fairness letters does happen but it is relatively rare.

Last edited: