+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application for PR Card and SIN after landing in 2018

Bloodrose

Jan 5, 2010
Hi Everyone,

Unfortunately I need a little advice regarding my situation.

1. I previously lived and worked in Canada on a TWP and left in 2012.

2. I was granted FSW PR in 2017 and landed in Summer 2018. My landing trip was only around 36 hours and I did not provide a Canadian address or apply for a PR Card or SIN at that time.

3. I was granted a 12 month, multiple entry PRTD earlier this year with a view to originally moving to Canada in September 2020 however due to the global situation I decided to postpone that until early 2021. My PRTD will still be valid at that time.

4. Because I landed more than 1 year ago I can no longer use my COPR to apply for a SIN and would need a PR Card.

Can anyone answer the following questions for me?

Q1. Would my PR card application be subject to the new PR card processing time (currently 97 days) or the renewal waiting time (currently 287 days)?

Q2. Can I apply for work and a bank account using my COPR and old and long since expired temporary SIN?

Thanks in advance.

Bloodrose

Jan 5, 2010
2) You need s SIN in order to do both, unfortunately.
I thought they don't even issue the actual cards anymore.

I don't remember ever having a card and when I applied for both using my old temporary SIN, I either provided by email or using the slip of paper given to me at Service Canada.

Last edited:

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

I thought they don't even issue the actual cards anymore.

I don't remember ever having a card and when I applied for both using my old temporary SIN, I either provided by email or using the slip of paper given to me at Service Canada.
1. They stopped issuing cards in Mar/2014

Bloodrose

Jan 5, 2010
Thank you.

Does anyone know of a bank that offers a normal checking account without requiring a SIN? I've checked and the CRA website suggests that SIN's are only a legal requirement if the account pays interest which is something I'd be certainly happy to live without in the short term.