+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application for permanent residence with 90 days of applying for a work permit doubt

Victor Manuel

May 8, 2018
I have recently applied for a temporary visa under the Atlantic Immigration Pilot Project. I had already received a job offer in Canada and an endorsement letter from a Canadian Province so at the Canadian embassy they gave me a W-1 kind of visa. My wife who applied for an open work permit also received this kind of visa.

As we have to apply for a permanent residence we are planning on doing this in Canada. My doubt is that reading the Document Checklist – Atlantic Immigration Work Permits for applicants outside Canada (imm5653e) I found the following text:

"You must submit your application for permanent residence with 90 days of applying for a work permit. "

My doubt is about the exact meaning of the 90days of applying for a work permit and when do they start to count.

These are the facts:

I applied for visa on June 28th
I received the visa on July 10th
I would like to go to Canada in September 15th.

After which of these dates must I count the beginning of the 90 days?

Reactions: SHAHZADSAiM 10

MartinNguyen

Mar 6, 2018
I have recently applied for a temporary visa under the Atlantic Immigration Pilot Project. I had already received a job offer in Canada and an endorsement letter from a Canadian Province so at the Canadian embassy they gave me a W-1 kind of visa. My wife who applied for an open work permit also received this kind of visa.

As we have to apply for a permanent residence we are planning on doing this in Canada. My doubt is that reading the Document Checklist – Atlantic Immigration Work Permits for applicants outside Canada (imm5653e) I found the following text:

"You must submit your application for permanent residence with 90 days of applying for a work permit. "

My doubt is about the exact meaning of the 90days of applying for a work permit and when do they start to count.

These are the facts:

I applied for visa on June 28th
I received the visa on July 10th
I would like to go to Canada in September 15th.

After which of these dates must I count the beginning of the 90 days?
Count from June 28 th

Reactions: Victor Manuel

Linessa

Sep 19, 2018
Hi, i applied for a Work Permit under Atlantic Pilot Programm and recevied it after 2 months, now I am working 1 month and still did not apply for PR because waiting for education assesement from Toronto university. I was thinking about 90 days as business days, right? Because if not i exceeded this period, what can i do in this case? May be somebody had similiar experience? Thank you very much for help

Victor Manuel

May 8, 2018
Hi, i applied for a Work Permit under Atlantic Pilot Programm and recevied it after 2 months, now I am working 1 month and still did not apply for PR because waiting for education assesement from Toronto university. I was thinking about 90 days as business days, right? Because if not i exceeded this period, what can i do in this case? May be somebody had similiar experience? Thank you very much for help
You need to get in touch with IRCC and explain this. I think that you can still apply for PR even after the 3 months. As a matter of fact you can do it at any moment within the 1 year temporary work permit. I don't think the 90 days are business days, they are natural days. And at least for me one of the conditions for getting the temporary work permit was that I was going to apply for PR in 90 days. However, I know of a person that has been in Canada for 6 months already (with a 1 year temporary work permit) and still hasn't applied for the permanent residence

Linessa

Sep 19, 2018
You need to get in touch with IRCC and explain this. I think that you can still apply for PR even after the 3 months. As a matter of fact you can do it at any moment within the 1 year temporary work permit. I don't think the 90 days are business days, they are natural days. And at least for me one of the conditions for getting the temporary work permit was that I was going to apply for PR in 90 days. However, I know of a person that has been in Canada for 6 months already (with a 1 year temporary work permit) and still hasn't applied for the permanent residence
Thank you very much for the help, I found that y endorsement letter will expire soon so I just need to request for new and its done, I will be able to submit my application.

Mar 18, 2023
Count from June 28 th
Count from June 28 th
Hi guys, i am in a pretty similar situation as Manuel was, i applied for the work permit outside canada for the atlantic immigration program, and they let me know as follows:
<<That the applicant has provided the province with a copy of the commitment form (IMM 0156) indicating that the applicant will submit an eligible permanent residence application within 90 days of submitting an application for a work permit;>>

i applied for my work permit, my wife and 2 children for visitors permit, however my oldest daughter was refused and asked to apply for study permit intead, the thing is that while we wait for an answer to her case those 90 days would run out.

applied for work permit in january 22
got answerd march 16
and so far we havent been able to reapply for my oldest daughter study permit (she is 7)
so i ve got less than a month to do PR application.

when should i start to count the 90 days? or what would you recommend me?

thanks in advance

Mar 18, 2023
Thank you very much for the help, I found that y endorsement letter will expire soon so I just need to request for new and its done, I will be able to submit my application.

hello, could you do the endorsement letter renewal? if so, how?