+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Anyone tried Flagpoling/Flagpole after 7 September(Requesting PGWP etc at US land border)?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I thought you had to enter the US and then turn straight back otherwise you haven't left Canada?
Nope - you don't enter the US. You go to the US border and receive an administrative refusal (which isn't a real refusal) and then you turn around and re-enter Canada.

I'm guessing you've never been to a land border. You leave Canada and then there's a bit of a no-man's land until you enter the US.

Reactions: Lc4life

harikrishna_i

Oct 4, 2019
I am planning to convert my visitor to work permit next week, my spouse is on study permit...am i allowed to flagpole? If anyone has done it recently...could you reply please....

minwen

Jan 5, 2022
I am also looking for advice. I have a valid study permit and already applied for pgwp. I don't have a TRV and if I am eligible to do flagpoling?

Reactions: Jixiang

harikrishna_i

Oct 4, 2019
I have tried to flagpole last week in Rainbow bridge, Niagara Toronto. I was checking with CBSA officer politely for applying my work permit at the border, they didn't allow me to flagpole, they were saying me to apply online through IRCC portal. So, i didn't actually cross the bridge after this reply from him, i returned home sadly.

I hope it helps. Please let me know if you have any luck or come across any recent flagpole experience in Ontario.

uhohitsmo15

Jan 11, 2022
I successfully flagpoled on November 6th 2021. My study permit was expired and I only held a valid CAQ. I brought any documents I thought might be necessary and told them exactly why I needed to extend my status as a student. Try to get there early, even before they open. Good luck!

Edit 1: This was near Montreal, @ St-Bernard-de-Lacolle: Highway 15 (351)
Edit 2: Covid tests are not required because technically you are not entering the USA, and they are not going to make you take a PCR to make a U-turn around the flagpole. It is smart to come prepared with a PCR test taken the day before.

Jeja

Oct 23, 2020
I have tried to flagpole last week in Rainbow bridge, Niagara Toronto. I was checking with CBSA officer politely for applying my work permit at the border, they didn't allow me to flagpole, they were saying me to apply online through IRCC portal. So, i didn't actually cross the bridge after this reply from him, i returned home sadly.

I hope it helps. Please let me know if you have any luck or come across any recent flagpole experience in Ontario.
I am also in the similar situation. Do you have any other options other than flagpolling. I also thought of flagpolling.

primestudio

Star Member
Jul 7, 2018
Nope - you don't enter the US. You go to the US border and receive an administrative refusal (which isn't a real refusal) and then you turn around and re-enter Canada.

I'm guessing you've never been to a land border. You leave Canada and then there's a bit of a no-man's land until you enter the US.
Small details, but if you are applying for other countries visa (i.e. schengen or Australia) you have to state the denial.

Feb 15, 2019
I successfully flagpoled on November 6th 2021. My study permit was expired and I only held a valid CAQ. I brought any documents I thought might be necessary and told them exactly why I needed to extend my status as a student. Try to get there early, even before they open. Good luck!

Edit 1: This was near Montreal, @ St-Bernard-de-Lacolle: Highway 15 (351)
Edit 2: Covid tests are not required because technically you are not entering the USA, and they are not going to make you take a PCR to make a U-turn around the flagpole. It is smart to come prepared with a PCR test taken the day before.
Hi,
What days do they allow to flagpole at the Montreal, @ St-Bernard-de-Lacolle: Highway 15 (351) border?
Could you please let me know how you got to know about the days and timings as the website doesn’t have updated information.
Thank you in advance.