+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Anyone have experience in Common-law immigration to Canada? A few quick question

geminihc

Jan 15, 2007
Heres the situation:
my gf is japanese and currently has temp work permit that expires this june30 and is working in Canada. She used to be an int'l student and graduated from a canadian university (SFU) in BBA. She wants to immigrate to Canada.

Questions:
1.) how long does the Common-law relationship immigration process take? Is it faster to apply in canada or from US
2.) Are these evidences enough to apply for Commonlaw immigration?
-living together for a year with parents, with stautory declaration, and a written contract that she is paying rent to my parents.
-joint bank account for 1 month
-photos of us 2 years ago and through out
-friends as references that we been to together for 2 years (eg. b-day cards )
3.) Can she leave canada while applying? If not, how is she suppose to sustain her self if she is forced to stay in canada but not be able to work since her work permit expires in June30 (asuming preoessing takes longer than june)
4.) Is there a better way to make this process go more smoothly and faster compared to what i am doing so far? any tips?

Yes.. i know marriage the fast and best way.. but this isnt an option atm.

Anyway, i really appreciate your responses! thanks! hopefully someone's been through similar experiences and know what we feel.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Re: Anyone have experience in Common-law immigration to Canada? A few quick ques

Hi

geminihc said:
Heres the situation:
my gf is japanese and currently has temp work permit that expires this june30 and is working in Canada. She used to be an int'l student and graduated from a canadian university (SFU) in BBA. She wants to immigrate to Canada.

Questions:
1.) how long does the Common-law relationship immigration process take? Is it faster to apply in canada or from US
2.) Are these evidences enough to apply for Commonlaw immigration?
-living together for a year with parents, with stautory declaration, and a written contract that she is paying rent to my parents.
-joint bank account for 1 month
-photos of us 2 years ago and through out
-friends as references that we been to together for 2 years (eg. b-day cards )
3.) Can she leave canada while applying? If not, how is she suppose to sustain her self if she is forced to stay in canada but not be able to work since her work permit expires in June30 (asuming preoessing takes longer than june)
4.) Is there a better way to make this process go more smoothly and faster compared to what i am doing so far? any tips?

Yes.. i know marriage the fast and best way.. but this isnt an option atm.

Anyway, i really appreciate your responses! thanks! hopefully someone's been through similar experiences and know what we feel.
1. If the application is in-canada, then you are looking at about a year before landing.
2. If she applies through Buffalo, then 46 days at Missisauga, and 4-15 months at Buffalo.
3. Probably not enough to proof there for common/law, joint bank accts? life insurance see: http://www.cic.gc.ca/manuals-guides/english/op/op02e.pdf Sec 5.25
4. If she leaves Canada, then there is the chance that she will not be re-admitted (in-canada)
5. No she can't work, you as her c/law spouse, are expected to support her.

PMM