+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Anyone have experience applying for jobs while on implied status?

Mar 26, 2020
Just to be clear, I am not asking if I am eligible to apply for jobs while on implied status. I understand that I am eligible to continue working while on implied status and I have an open work permit so I can get a job with a new employer with no issue.

The issue is that I only sent my PR application a few weeks ago and I've just found out that there's a strong chance that my employer will not renew my contract past the end of April. Obviously I would like to look a for a new job before then. My question is about how to deal with the fact that I am on implied status in job applications. It seems like potential employers would be hesitant about hiring someone for a permanent job if their right to work in the country is dependent on a PR application which has not yet been approved. I am very confident that my PR application will be approved (I am being sponsored by my common-law partner; we meet all the requirements and we provided plenty of evidence that our relationship is genuine). But from a potential employer's perspective I could have my application refused at any time and lose my right to work in Canada.

I am wondering if anyone has experience with applying for jobs while on implied status? How did you broach the topic with potential employers? Is this something I should mention in a cover letter or during an interview? How did employers react to this information?

Hope someone can help me with this! Thanks in advance!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Just to be clear, I am not asking if I am eligible to apply for jobs while on implied status. I understand that I am eligible to continue working while on implied status and I have an open work permit so I can get a job with a new employer with no issue.

The issue is that I only sent my PR application a few weeks ago and I've just found out that there's a strong chance that my employer will not renew my contract past the end of April. Obviously I would like to look a for a new job before then. My question is about how to deal with the fact that I am on implied status in job applications. It seems like potential employers would be hesitant about hiring someone for a permanent job if their right to work in the country is dependent on a PR application which has not yet been approved. I am very confident that my PR application will be approved (I am being sponsored by my common-law partner; we meet all the requirements and we provided plenty of evidence that our relationship is genuine). But from a potential employer's perspective I could have my application refused at any time and lose my right to work in Canada.

I am wondering if anyone has experience with applying for jobs while on implied status? How did you broach the topic with potential employers? Is this something I should mention in a cover letter or during an interview? How did employers react to this information?

Hope someone can help me with this! Thanks in advance!
Most employers are not familiar with the immigration system and are only comfortable hiring someone with a proof of their work permit and a clear expiry date. It is unfortunate but it is the case. You can try to explain but many employers are worried that they may be breaking the law. You can certainly try to explain it but unfortunately some employers won’t be comfortable with it.