+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Any PGWP holders successfully extend work permit without ITA?

redd23

Star Member
Sep 20, 2014
There are lots of conflicting information on CIC. As PGWP holder I know I am LMIA exempt as I have an open work permit. So does that meant I can extend my permit without my employer applying for LMIA with IMM5658E? What about IMM5802E?

Has anyone in this situation applied for work permit extension?

Any information is appreciated.

Thanks

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
Not sure what the two documents/forms are for. But PGWP is a once in a lifetime permit and cannot be extended. (Apart from passport expiry)

The only way to extend the stay is apply for LMIA and then Closed WP, or go for PR

s2t2

Star Member
Mar 4, 2015
You can call CIC to confirm, but PGWP is only issued for 3 years. You can't extend it beyond that time. You either have to get a BOWP if you have a PR application in progress, an LMIA/LMO closed Work Permit, or if you're in Quebec and you have a CSQ, you can apply for an LMIA exempt closed Work Permit.

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
s2t2 said:
You can call CIC to confirm, but PGWP is only issued for 3 years. You can't extend it beyond that time. You either have to get a BOWP if you have a PR application in progress, an LMIA/LMO closed Work Permit, or if you're in Quebec and you have a CSQ, you can apply for an LMIA exempt closed Work Permit.
More precisely, PGWP are issued to the same length of the study, maxed 3 years.

copypaper

Star Member
Feb 9, 2015
mf4361 said:
More precisely, PGWP are issued to the same length of the study, maxed 3 years.
Not exactly. You are correct that the max is 3 years, however, there is a tiered system. As written on CIC's website,

"If the program of study is at least eight months but less than two years, then the duration of the work permit should coincide with the duration of the program of study."

Once you hit at least the two year mark (i.e. a 2 year diploma, or a Master's degree), then you get 3 years.

"If the program of study is at least two years, then the duration of the work permit should be three years."

If you do a longer program like a Bachelor's degree for 4 years, you still only get 3 years (maximum).

d.r.

Star Member
Jul 7, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Considering the fact that many of us (PGWP holders and rejects from the old CEC system)
are left with anticipation while waiting for future draws, CIC can at least consider the possibility
of extending PGWP for a limited amount of time.
That way we can buy ourselves a bit more time and hope.

P.S. This post is not intended to show my emotional side :D

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
d.r. said:
Considering the fact that many of us (PGWP holders and rejects from the old CEC system)
are left with anticipation while waiting for future draws, CIC can at least consider the possibility
of extending PGWP for a limited amount of time.
That way we can buy ourselves a bit more time and hope.

P.S. This post is not intended to show my emotional side :D
My instinct is that CIC wants to weed out PGWP, by imposing LMIA requirement. So there is no mercy by CIC...

mnhasan621

Feb 19, 2015
I am on 3 yrs PGWP and will be expired next year. Just wondering, If I go back to School and finish another two years diploma, would I get 3 yrs PGWP agin?

Thanks for your response.

satya.mnf

Star Member
May 22, 2015
I am also in the same situation. There could be a hope for us. If you see the link below it says that the one can work for maximum period of 4 years in Canada on a Work Permit.

"Most people can come to Canada to work for a maximum of four years. If you are currently working or plan to work in Canada, you should keep track of the total time you have worked and plan to work in Canada. After you have worked temporarily for four years in Canada, you will not be eligible to work in Canada again until another period of four years has passed."

Depending on how many years you have worked you could use this. I am planning to call up CIC and confirm this.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

mnhasan621 said:
I am on 3 yrs PGWP and will be expired next year. Just wondering, If I go back to School and finish another two years diploma, would I get 3 yrs PGWP agin?

Thanks for your response.
1. No, it is one shot deal, one PGWP in your life time.

s2t2

Star Member
Mar 4, 2015
That four years is a limit for any kind of Work Permit, also there are exceptions to this rule as well.
But your PGWP has a maximum limit of 3 years and can't be extended further.

satya.mnf said:
I am also in the same situation. There could be a hope for us. If you see the link below it says that the one can work for maximum period of 4 years in Canada on a Work Permit.

"Most people can come to Canada to work for a maximum of four years. If you are currently working or plan to work in Canada, you should keep track of the total time you have worked and plan to work in Canada. After you have worked temporarily for four years in Canada, you will not be eligible to work in Canada again until another period of four years has passed."

Depending on how many years you have worked you could use this. I am planning to call up CIC and confirm this.

redd23

Star Member
Sep 20, 2014
satya.mnf said:

Let me know if you find out anything. My PGWP expires in July and I am at 458 points. I dont want to stop working as I have bills to pay.

A.B.123

Star Member
Jan 15, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Guys, myself and my employer spoke to an immigration consultant. You can't extend post graduate work permit. What you can do is

- get ITA, apply for PR, get an approval from CIC and then apply for a bridging work permit
- or your employer can get you a LMIA and you'll switch to a closed work permit.

That's it.