+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Any immigration options if investing in a new business in Nova Scotia?

LouisCreed

May 3, 2023
I recently discovered that a long time Canadian friend in Nova Scotia is leaving his job to start a new business, which just happens to be the same kind of business I own and run in the United States. (This common interest is how we met online many years ago.)

He asked if I'd be interested in helping him get things up and running as a 50/50 partner. Probably looking at a $150,000 to $200,000 investment and it would be a full-time job.

Is there any opportunity here for me to immigrate and get PR? I don't think the Entrepreneur Stream is quite right for this for this scenario, but would welcome any feedback.

Thank you!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I recently discovered that a long time Canadian friend in Nova Scotia is leaving his job to start a new business, which just happens to be the same kind of business I own and run in the United States. (This common interest is how we met online many years ago.)

He asked if I'd be interested in helping him get things up and running as a 50/50 partner. Probably looking at a $150,000 to $200,000 investment and it would be a full-time job.

Is there any opportunity here for me to immigrate and get PR? I don't think the Entrepreneur Stream is quite right for this for this scenario, but would welcome any feedback.

Thank you!
Which province? NS?

Start Up is not the right category since you're not looking for support from a designated organization / angel investor.

IMO the first step would probably be getting an approved LMIA and then coming to Canada on a work permit. Bu wait for others to comment.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

K Shah

Oct 8, 2022

Thank you!
Try to explore Intra company transfer (ICT) program as you are already running a business in US.

LouisCreed

May 3, 2023
Try to explore Intra company transfer (ICT) program as you are already running a business in US.
Hey! I just wanted to report back that I looked into this and my business is too small for that to work, but a C11 Work Permit is looking promising.

In fact, from speaking to an immigration attorney, it sounds like we could have approval (if we ARE going to be approved) in as little as two weeks and be moving our business right away, which I hadn't planned on. I assumed this would be a multi-year wait sort of deal... So, I'm looking in C11 significantly closer now.

Thanks for the suggestion!