+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Any feasible work permit options for outland spousal sponsorship?

heyhowareyou

Jul 12, 2020
I just figured OWP is only for inland spousal sponsorship (I'm very new to this) and I must do outland because I cannot commit to being physically present in Canada during the application (while I will likely be, it is uncertain, so I cannot risk with inland).

However, I would still want some sort of work permit/visa/program which allows me to work long enough (from the moment I want to work until the PR gets approved which shouldn't be more than 5-6 months according to my rough timeline estimates, assuming PR takes 12 months).

What are my options for getting a (professional) work permit/visa, given that I am currently on a visitor visa and I will have my outland spousal sponsorship PR submitted while I pursue that work permit?

I realize my options will likely be similar to any foreigner willing to work in Canada, but I am wondering if there is any bump given my circumstances and what people in this situation usually do, as I am sure many have found themselves in a similar scenario.

For reference, I am pretty sure I qualify for Global Talent Stream category B jobs for example, but I do not know enough about the program to really consider it a feasible option that I can rely on. It seems the costs and most paperwork fall on the employer, and I do not know how common this is and how many employers are willing to engage in that as opposed to hiring a PR/Citizen instead.
This was just an example and I am open to advice as I admit I do not know much about these things.

Thank you in advance!

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Your chances are similar to any foreigner wanting to work in Canada.

Either you get an employer to go through the expensive process of obtaining an LMIA to prove that there are no Canadians willing to do the work (hard to prove that right now, with millions unemployed), or your home country has a trade agreement with Canada that allows the issuance of work permits based on job offers for people with certain job credentials.

Or if you're young enough, you apply for a working holiday visa if your home country has an IEC agreement with Canada.

The LMIA will basically be impossible at the moment.

Reactions: heyhowareyou

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Your chances are similar to any foreigner wanting to work in Canada.

Either you get an employer to go through the expensive process of obtaining an LMIA to prove that there are no Canadians willing to do the work (hard to prove that right now, with millions unemployed), or your home country has a trade agreement with Canada that allows the issuance of work permits based on job offers for people with certain job credentials.

Or if you're young enough, you apply for a working holiday visa if your home country has an IEC agreement with Canada.

The LMIA will basically be impossible at the moment.
IEC draws are on hold right now. So not an option at this time. Although possible they may open up.

We have actually seen a number of LMIAs approved in the foreign worker section of the forum. So not impossible. Just very hard and slow (and obviously very dependent on finding an employer).

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I just figured OWP is only for inland spousal sponsorship (I'm very new to this) and I must do outland because I cannot commit to being physically present in Canada during the application (while I will likely be, it is uncertain, so I cannot risk with inland).

However, I would still want some sort of work permit/visa/program which allows me to work long enough (from the moment I want to work until the PR gets approved which shouldn't be more than 5-6 months according to my rough timeline estimates, assuming PR takes 12 months).

What are my options for getting a (professional) work permit/visa, given that I am currently on a visitor visa and I will have my outland spousal sponsorship PR submitted while I pursue that work permit?

I realize my options will likely be similar to any foreigner willing to work in Canada, but I am wondering if there is any bump given my circumstances and what people in this situation usually do, as I am sure many have found themselves in a similar scenario.

For reference, I am pretty sure I qualify for Global Talent Stream category B jobs for example, but I do not know enough about the program to really consider it a feasible option that I can rely on. It seems the costs and most paperwork fall on the employer, and I do not know how common this is and how many employers are willing to engage in that as opposed to hiring a PR/Citizen instead.
This was just an example and I am open to advice as I admit I do not know much about these things.

Thank you in advance!
First step is to find an employer in Canada who is willing to give you a job offer. Next step will be for that employer to obtain an approved LMIA (including the one month advertising to prove no Canadian could be hired). Once the LMIA is approved, you can then apply for a closed work permit tied to that specific employer.

So first step is securing the job offer. As said above, generally difficult to find employers willing to go through this process - however you can certainly try.

The fact you have an outland sponsorship application in process gives you no advantage.

Reactions: heyhowareyou

heyhowareyou

Jul 12, 2020
Thank you both for the reply! I posted on the foreigner work forum just now, as it might be more appropriate, but would like to wrap up the discussion here as well.
To respond to some of the comments, or give more context, note the following:

Additional info:
- My home country, which is in Europe, is not in those of IEC, i.e. has no special agreements with Canada
- I am currently on an F1 visa in the US and by the time I need to start working I will have a Master's degree from a US university
- My general area of expertise is in technology, Comp. Sci., AI
- Since I'll be fresh out of grad school, my work experience is limited to several (5-6) tech internships I've had during my schooling (as well as on-campus jobs and research), some of which were in larger companies which have offices in Canada as well
- I am willing to try more competitive employers (bigger tech companies?) as long as they are willing to sponsor work visa temporarily until I get my PR

With regards to LMIA, are there specific industries/employers/companies which are always (or almost always) open to sponsoring presumably very qualified foreigners, as they have the legal and financial resources to do so? How does one go about finding such an employer?