+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Any chance of having a Study Permit granted to my Cuban wife? **FRUSTRATED

KanaPolak

Aug 30, 2015
I am Canadian. She is Cuban and studies neurosciences.

This summer she completed a two month study program in the US.

Naively, we submitted a TRV application (so she could come to Canada after her program) which was refused because the VO did not think she would return to Cuba. We married in the US.

This month we were about to submit a PR application, it is complete, but not submitted.

But, my wife has now been accepted to begin a Masters degree (neuroscience) at University of Alberta.

Is there any chance of a Study Permit being accepted now that we are married?

This is so frustrating. I've come to understand the correct avenue would be to submit the PR application and wait for a year. A one year gap at this point in her career can have serious repercussions. The fact that she is married to a Canadian is preventing her from being accepted into Canada... this is crazy.

There must be another way. Any suggestions?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It's entirely possible the study permit may be approved. It's also possible it may be refused. Both are realistic outcomes - but unfortunately none of us here is going to be able to tell you which is more likely. Yes - the fact she is married to a Canadian may work against her (as well as the fact she's Cuban unfortunately). Having said that, the fact she's planning on taking a Master's program is a big positive, as well as the fact this program is directly aligned to her previous studies. Make sure she can show a bank balance that has the minimum funds (i.e. first year tuition + $10K living expenses). I would also include a strong statement of purpose (SOP) letter explaining why she has chosen this specific program for her continued studies and why in Canada (e.g. instead of the US). Good luck.

KanaPolak

Aug 30, 2015
Scylla, thanks for the reply.

Dual Intent! Seems to be the solution to my problem. I am excited now, I have just learned about this and it seems to address my conflicting situation.

Question: When applying for a TRV (Study Permit) with Dual Intent, must the PR application already be submitted? Or may the Dual Intent simply be implied, as if we are going to submit an Inland-PR upon arrival? In other words, must we submit the PR application first and only then may we apply for the TRV?