+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

(Another) Question...

Frozen11

May 3, 2021
So I have built a very good relationship with the Canadian Embassy in Bogota. I was advised that all I need for my son's citizenship is the UCI and they can process a "limited" travel passport at the Embassy for him to come to Canada.

My fiancee/common-law partner have been together for almost 5 years. The embassy advised me that we should start the process for the PRV so she can travel. My question..like the citizenship for my son, is there a way to expedite it like I did for my son? They said it would speed up the process for my son and was wondering if the same held true for my significant others TRV? Would it be quicker for me to apply here in Canada for her or would it have to be done in Colombia? I guess that this would fall under family "reunification" but I also have MS (no major issues as of yet) so could that also help in expediting process times?

As always...thanks for the assistenace!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
So I have built a very good relationship with the Canadian Embassy in Bogota. I was advised that all I need for my son's citizenship is the UCI and they can process a "limited" travel passport at the Embassy for him to come to Canada.

My fiancee/common-law partner have been together for almost 5 years. The embassy advised me that we should start the process for the PRV so she can travel. My question..like the citizenship for my son, is there a way to expedite it like I did for my son? They said it would speed up the process for my son and was wondering if the same held true for my significant others TRV? Would it be quicker for me to apply here in Canada for her or would it have to be done in Colombia? I guess that this would fall under family "reunification" but I also have MS (no major issues as of yet) so could that also help in expediting process times?

As always...thanks for the assistenace!
It's a bit confusing to understand what you mean by the PRV. Do you mean a TRV? I'm not clear if you are asking about the TRV (tourist visa) for your spouse or permanent residency visa (i.e. spousal sponsorship that woud give her PR and allow her to move to Canada permanently).

Ultimately neither can really be expedited. The limitied validity passport is different and it makes sense they have told you they can expedite. However the TRV and PR visa aren't in any way managed through the embassy and they have no influence. This is IRCC.

It's hard to comment on processing times without knowing if you're asking about a TRV or a PR visa.

Frozen11

May 3, 2021
Haha...sorry it's Monday...meant TRV..but what would be the quickest option? Our son is 2, he can't travel on his own so I thought there was a way to get it done faster. TRV looks like it is a 5 month process according to the website. Was hoping to have them here for Christmas! Thaaaaaaaaat might not happen...especially with how quickly the IRCC works!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Haha...sorry it's Monday...meant TRV..but what would be the quickest option? Our son is 2, he can't travel on his own so I thought there was a way to get it done faster. TRV looks like it is a 5 month process according to the website. Was hoping to have them here for Christmas! Thaaaaaaaaat might not happen...especially with how quickly the IRCC works!
So your wife is the one applying for the TRV (not you). She would need to do this from Colombia (there's no option to apply from Canada for her).

There's no way to expedite TRVs.

Can you clarify if you have you already submitted the spousal / common law sponsorship application and have AOR? Hopefully you have and are not delaying this. The best approach is to submit the PR sponsorship application first, wait for AOR to arrive (around 1.5 - 2 months), and then apply for the TRV under this TRV policy: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/2023/05/canada-is-reuniting-loved-ones-through-new-immigration-measures-new-measures-also-address-labour-shortages-in-canada.html

Applying for the TRV without AOR will reduce the chances of approval and result in longer processing times.

Frozen11

May 3, 2021
I have not done that as the plan was to just get a visitor visa, extend if needed and apply from Canada. I am totally unfamiliar with all this.

So do the spousal/common-law sponsorship app? Is the AOR a unique indicator to use?

When our son was born...I looked at the Canada website and they make it seem like it is such an easy process as my son gets "automatic citizenship" through me. What a shock I was in for...

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I have not done that as the plan was to just get a visitor visa, extend if needed and apply from Canada. I am totally unfamiliar with all this.

So do the spousal/common-law sponsorship app? Is the AOR a unique indicator to use?

When our son was born...I looked at the Canada website and they make it seem like it is such an easy process as my son gets "automatic citizenship" through me. What a shock I was in for...
I don't understand your AOR question. AOR stands for Acknowledgment of Receipt. This is received approximately 45 to 75 days after you submit the PR sponsorship application and once IRCC has reviewed the application to make sure it is materially complete. Once you have the AOR email, you can apply for a TRV for your spouse and benefit from faster processing times through the policy I gave you a link to above.

It's obviously your choice, but I personally wouldn't be delaying the submission of the spousal sponsorship application any further than you already have delayed this. I would focus on getting that in asap. There's no guarantee a TRV will be approved.